Timeout and Firefox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Victor, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    my website is based on form authentication. in my web.config I have
    something like
    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name=".ASPXAUTH"
    loginUrl="~/modules/Login.aspx"
    protection="All"
    timeout="20"
    />
    </authentication>
    Everytime user timeout, the system will kick him back to the login page and
    asked them to sign in again. it works fine for IE and safari. But in Firefox
    funny thing happen, everytime it's timeout and I tried to login again. error
    comes out. the error message is

    Validation of viewstate MAC failed. if this application is hosted by a web
    farm or
    cluster, ensure that<machinekey> configuration specifies the same
    validationkey and validation
    algorithm.
    autogenerate can not be used in a cluster.

    I do not have webfarm in my development environment.
    In my login page, I put a login control with totally customized template
    inside a updatepanel. Can anyone help me on this? why this happen and how to
    resolve this?

    Thx a lot
    Victor

    Victor, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Hi Victor,

    I tried using a very simple web site and wasn't able to reproduce the issue
    you mentioned using FireFox 2.0. Would you please tell me more about how to
    reproduce the issue on my side? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jun 1, 2007

  3. Victor

    Victor Guest

    Hi Walter:
    I really dont know how to give you much more details about this error. I
    posted most of my code in my previous page. But I found a new thing about
    this error, It maybe only happens in Winxp. Coz I tried my code in one of my
    2003 server. and it seems working fine. But I am not quite sure it's xp
    cause this problem.

    Do you have any idea why this happen?
    Cheers
    Victor

    Victor, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Hi Victor,

    I don't think there will be much difference between how IE and Firefox
    handles session timeout. When a session timeout, the server will return an
    error and redirect to the login page. This is all very basic http
    operations, and it should not relate to the server.

    Is it possible that you're using some addon/extension in your Firefox
    installation that might interfere with this?

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jun 5, 2007