timestamps

Simon Wigzell

A client of mine who used Frontpage on her old website has the following on
the bottom of each page :

Updated:<!--webbot bot="Timestamp" S-Type="EDITED" S-Format="%m/%d/%y"
startspan -->04/09/03<!--webbot bot="Timestamp" endspan
i-checksum="12740" -->

Does anyone know anything about this? What effect does a timestamp have on
search engines and web crawlers and what is theorrect syntax for one? I've
been working on web pages for 3 years and this is the first I've heard of
it.

It will be easy enough for me to add the date because my html web pages are
generated by asp pages from a database.