Tkinter button doesn't appear in OS X

crystalattice

I'm creating a shelve interface using Tkinter. I have a button that
allows the user to modify an existing entry; when the button is
clicked, a new TopLevel window appears with Entry boxes holding the
selected entry. Below the Entry boxes are two buttons, one that saves
the changes to the database and the other is simply a Cancel button.

Under Linux, both buttons appear correctly. However, in OS X the
Cancel button is invisible unless the window is resized or you click in
the area where the Cancel button is located. I believe it works
correctly under Windows (it's been a few days since I was able to check
it on a Windows machine).

Is there something special about OS X and Tkinter that I need to know
about or is it just a glitch I'll have to work around? Below is the
relevant code block:
def changeInven(self):
"""Allows modification of a database entry.

Called by modifyInven Button"""

try: #see if a selection was made
self.getSelection = self.listBox.curselection() #get index
of selection
self.selectedEntry = self.listBox.get(self.getSelection)
#get tuple from selection
(self.prodnum, self.descrip, self.colors, self.cost,
self.price,
self.quan) = self.selectedEntry #unpack tuple

#---New 'edit product' window
self.editWindow = Toplevel()
self.editWindow.title("Edit selected entry")

#---Edit product window widgets
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Product Number").grid(row =
0, column = 0)
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Description").grid(row = 0,
column = 1)
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Color").grid(row = 0, column
= 2)
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Unit cost").grid(row = 0,
column = 3)
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Sell price").grid(row = 0,
column = 4)
Label(self.editWindow, text = "Quantity").grid(row = 0,
column = 5)

self.oldNum = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "prodNum")
self.oldNum.grid(row = 1, column = 0)
self.oldDescrip = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "descrip")
self.oldDescrip.grid(row = 1, column = 1)
self.oldColor = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "color")
self.oldColor.grid(row = 1, column = 2)
self.oldCost = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "cost")
self.oldCost.grid(row = 1, column = 3)
self.oldPrice = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "price")
self.oldPrice.grid(row = 1, column = 4)
self.oldQuan = Entry(self.editWindow, name = "quan")
self.oldQuan.grid(row = 1, column = 5)

self.update = Button(self.editWindow, text = "Update
product",
command = self.updateProduct).grid(row = 2, column = 2)
self.cancel = Button(self.editWindow, text = "Cancel",
command = self.cancelProduct).grid(row = 2, column = 3)

#---Edit product data
self.oldNum.insert(END, self.prodnum)
self.oldDescrip.insert(END, self.descrip)
self.oldColor.insert(END, self.colors)
self.oldCost.insert(END, self.cost)
self.oldPrice.insert(END, self.price)
self.oldQuan.insert(END, self.quan)

except TclError: #tell user to make a selection first
showerror(title = "Error!", message = "You must make a
selection first!")

Kevin Walzer

crystalattice said:
I'm creating a shelve interface using Tkinter. I have a button that
allows the user to modify an existing entry; when the button is
clicked, a new TopLevel window appears with Entry boxes holding the
selected entry. Below the Entry boxes are two buttons, one that saves
the changes to the database and the other is simply a Cancel button.

Under Linux, both buttons appear correctly. However, in OS X the
Cancel button is invisible unless the window is resized or you click in
the area where the Cancel button is located. I believe it works
correctly under Windows (it's been a few days since I was able to check
it on a Windows machine).

What version of Tk are you running? I've seen this bug on old versions
of Tk (i.e. 8.4.7) but not recently.

crystalattice

Kevin said:
What version of Tk are you running? I've seen this bug on old versions
of Tk (i.e. 8.4.7) but not recently.

I'm using Python 2.4.2, which I believe is the default version for OS
X. How do I check the Tk version? Can I force my programs to use a
different version of Python, e.g. if I installed Python 2.5?

Kevin Walzer

crystalattice said:
I'm using Python 2.4.2, which I believe is the default version for OS
X. How do I check the Tk version? Can I force my programs to use a
different version of Python, e.g. if I installed Python 2.5?
When you run your program on OS X, there should be a menu item next to
the Apple menu that says "about Tcl/Tk," which you access from the
"Python" menu item. That will give you the version number.

Python 2.3.5 and Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 ship with OS X 10.4. Python 2.4.2 is a
separate installation, but probably accesses the system Tcl/Tk unless
you have installed a more recent version. Using the official Mac build
of Python 2.5 will update your Python, but not Tcl/Tk--you'll need to
install something more recent.

You can install ActiveTcl for a "batteries-included" distro of
Tcl/Tk--it has the latest and greatest of everything. Or, you can
install a slightly older (8.4.13) version of Tcl/Tk at
http://tk-components.sourceforge.net. (This is a version of Tcl/Tk Aqua
that I use in my own programs and I made the build available for others
to use.)

Hope that helps,
Kevin

crystalattice

Kevin said:
[...]

Thanks for the info. It looks like it should work. I wasn't aware
that OS X is so "compartmentalized"; makes it a pain in the butt to
develop on sometimes.

crystalattice

I downloaded your file and got it working. Thanks for the hint and the
code. I really appreciate it.