Tkinter programming problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrew Gregory, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Could someone help me out with these few lines of code: I would like
    to know why the Quit button in this application removes the buttons
    and causes "Quitting" to be printed, but does not close the outer
    frame.

    Andrew.

    # Demonstration TK interface Windows application
    # Runs ok from within IDLE
    #
    from Tkinter import *

    class CommonStuff: # to get common access to variables and functions
    def __init__(cself, frame):
    cself.frame = frame

    def say_hi(cself):
    print "Hello all"

    class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    def __init__(wself, CS):
    Frame.__init__(wself, CS.frame)
    wself.quitbutton = Button(wself)
    wself.quitbutton["text"] = "Quit"
    wself.quitbutton["fg"] = "red"
    wself.quitbutton["command"] = wself.destroy

    wself.quitbutton.pack({"side": "left"})

    wself.hi_there = Button(wself)
    wself.hi_there["text"] = "Hello",
    wself.hi_there["command"] = CS.say_hi

    wself.hi_there.pack({"side": "left"})

    class Application:
    def __init__(self, master):
    self.frame=Frame(master)
    CS = CommonStuff(self.frame)

    displayedwidget=MyWidgets(CS)
    displayedwidget.grid(row=0, column=0)
    self.frame.grid(row=0, column=0)
    self.frame.columnconfigure(0)
    displayedwidget.bind("<Destroy>", self.quit)
    self.frame.update()

    def quit(self, event):
    print"Quitting..."
    self.frame.destroy # Destroy frame and all children

    root = Tk()
    mainWin = Application(root)
    root.wait_window(mainWin.frame)

    Andrew Gregory, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Andrew Gregory

    Eric Brunel Guest

    Andrew Gregory wrote:
    > Could someone help me out with these few lines of code: I would like
    > to know why the Quit button in this application removes the buttons
    > and causes "Quitting" to be printed, but does not close the outer
    > frame.
    >
    > Andrew.
    >

    > # Demonstration TK interface Windows application
    > # Runs ok from within IDLE
    > #
    > from Tkinter import *
    >
    > class CommonStuff: # to get common access to variables and functions
    > def __init__(cself, frame):
    > cself.frame = frame

    It is a Bad Idea to give the first parameter of a method any other name than
    "self"... Checking tools like PyChecker will complain if you do that, and your
    programs will be harder to read for anyone else doing Python...

    > def say_hi(cself):
    > print "Hello all"
    >

    > class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    > def __init__(wself, CS):
    > Frame.__init__(wself, CS.frame)

    Where have you found this type of Tkinter object initialization? Apparently,
    there are weird style guides lying around somewhere... You can rewrite all of this:

    > wself.quitbutton = Button(wself)
    > wself.quitbutton["text"] = "Quit"
    > wself.quitbutton["fg"] = "red"
    > wself.quitbutton["command"] = wself.destroy
    >
    > wself.quitbutton.pack({"side": "left"})

    like that:

    wself.quitbutton = Button(wself, text='Quit', fg='red', command=wself.destroy)
    wself.quitbutton.pack(side=LEFT)

    This is the most common way to do things. BTW, since you never do anything to
    the buttons themselves ouside this method, there's no need at all to store them
    in attributes. So you can just do:

    quitbutton = Button(wself, text='Quit', fg='red', command=wself.destroy)
    quitbutton.pack(side=LEFT)

    or even:

    Button(wself, text='Quit', fg='red', command=wself.destroy).pack(side=LEFT)

    > wself.hi_there = Button(wself)
    > wself.hi_there["text"] = "Hello",
    > wself.hi_there["command"] = CS.say_hi
    >
    > wself.hi_there.pack({"side": "left"})

    Same here:

    wself.hi_there = Button(wself, text="Hello", command=CS.say_hi)
    wself.hi_there.pack(side=LEFT)

    or:

    hi_there = Button(wself, text="Hello", command=CS.say_hi)
    hi_there.pack(side=LEFT)

    or even:

    Button(wself, text="Hello", command=CS.say_hi).pack(side=LEFT)

    > class Application:
    > def __init__(self, master):
    > self.frame=Frame(master)
    > CS = CommonStuff(self.frame)
    >
    > displayedwidget=MyWidgets(CS)
    > displayedwidget.grid(row=0, column=0)
    > self.frame.grid(row=0, column=0)
    > self.frame.columnconfigure(0)

    This statement is a no-op: you say you'll configure the column n#0 of
    self.frame, but you do not give any features for the column. What are you trying
    to do?

    > displayedwidget.bind("<Destroy>", self.quit)
    > self.frame.update()
    >
    > def quit(self, event):
    > print"Quitting..."
    > self.frame.destroy # Destroy frame and all children

    Compare this line to the last in the __init__ method just above. To call the
    update method on self.frame, you did self.frame.update(). So to call the destroy
    method on self.frame, you must do self.frame.destroy(). self.frame.destroy
    merely returns the destroy method of the self.frame object, but doesn't do
    anything with it.

    > root = Tk()
    > mainWin = Application(root)
    > root.wait_window(mainWin.frame)

    I don't know if this works, but I know it's not the usual way to run a Tkinter
    application. You'd better replace the last line by:

    root.mainloop()

    HTH

    --
    - Eric Brunel <> -

    Eric Brunel, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

    Altered root.wait_window(mainWin.frame) to root.mainloop()
    and found that it runs and closes ok within IDLE. I seem to remember
    having crashes on closing within IDLE before.

    I did try self.frame.destroy as the function
    self.frame.destroy(), but the Quit button still didn't work. The
    application can be closed via the window corner X, but I'm still
    puzzled as to why it does not respond to Quit.

    Any more suggestions?

    Updated code below, Andrew.

    # Demonstration TK interface Windows application
    # Runs ok from within IDLE
    #
    from Tkinter import *

    class CommonStuff: # to get common access to variables and functions
    def __init__(self, frame):
    self.frame = frame

    def say_hi(self):
    print "Hello all"

    class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    def __init__(self, CS):
    Frame.__init__(self, CS.frame)
    self.quitbutton = Button(self, text='Quit', fg='red',
    command=self.destroy)
    self.quitbutton.pack(side=LEFT)
    self.hi_there = Button(self, text='Hello', command=CS.say_hi)

    Andrew Gregory, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Andrew Gregory

    klappnase Guest

    > # Demonstration TK interface Windows application
    > # Runs ok from within IDLE
    > #
    > from Tkinter import *
    >
    > class CommonStuff: # to get common access to variables and functions
    > def __init__(self, frame):
    > self.frame = frame
    >
    > def say_hi(self):
    > print "Hello all"
    >

    > class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    > def __init__(self, CS):
    > Frame.__init__(self, CS.frame)
    > self.quitbutton = Button(self, text='Quit', fg='red',
    > command=self.destroy)
    > self.quitbutton.pack(side=LEFT)
    > self.hi_there = Button(self, text='Hello', command=CS.say_hi)
    > self.hi_there.pack(side=LEFT)
    >

    > class Application:
    > def __init__(self, master):
    > self.frame=Frame(master)
    > CS = CommonStuff(self.frame)
    >
    > displayedwidget=MyWidgets(CS)
    > displayedwidget.grid(row=0, column=0)
    > self.frame.grid(row=0, column=0)
    > displayedwidget.bind("<Destroy>", self.quit)
    > self.frame.update()
    >
    > def quit(self, event):
    > print"Quitting..."
    > self.frame.destroy() # Destroy frame and all children
    >

    > root = Tk()
    > mainWin = Application(root)
    > root.mainloop()

    I think you could have it easier, if you just want to exit you
    application with the quit button:

    class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    def __init__(self, CS):
    Frame.__init__(self, CS.frame)
    self.quitbutton = Button(self, text='Quit', fg='red',
    command=self.quit)
    self.quitbutton.pack(side=LEFT)
    self.hi_there = Button(self, text='Hello', command=CS.say_hi)
    self.hi_there.pack(side=LEFT)

    def quit(self):
    print "Quitting..."
    sys.exit(0)

    If you want to run it from within the interpreter (I am not sure if it
    is that what you are trying) the following might work too:

    class Application:
    def __init__(self, master):
    self.frame=Frame(master)
    CS = CommonStuff(self.frame)

    displayedwidget=MyWidgets(CS)
    displayedwidget.grid(row=0, column=0)
    self.frame.grid(row=0, column=0)
    displayedwidget.bind("<Destroy>", self.quit)
    self.frame.update()

    self.master = master

    def quit(self, event):
    print"Quitting..."
    self.master.destroy() # Destroy root window

    However I would recommend to store the code in a file and then run the
    file.
    I am sorry that I cannot give you more detailed advice, but I am still
    a beginner, too. I hope this helped anyway.

    Good luck!

    Michael

    klappnase, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Andrew Gregory

    klappnase Guest

    Eric Brunel <> wrote in message news:<bgnmjv$omq$>...

    > This may also work, but the most common way is the one I describe above. If you
    > want to do it here, you can do:
    >
    > def quit(self, event):
    > print "Quitting..."
    > self.master.quit()
    >
    > AFAIK, all Tkinter widgets have a quit method that will quit the Tk mainloop.
    >
    > HTH

    I think Tkinter's quit() method will not work while running from
    within the interpreter, because there is no mainloop. I think you will
    have to destroy() there.

    Best regards

    Michael

    klappnase, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Andrew Gregory

    Eric Brunel Guest

    furliz wrote:
    >> I did try self.frame.destroy as the function self.frame.destroy(),
    >> but the Quit button still didn't work. The
    >> application can be closed via the window corner X, but I'm still
    >> puzzled as to why it does not respond to Quit.
    >>
    >> Any more suggestions?

    > why don't use 'sys.exit(0)' as command?
    > Ex:
    > quitButton = Button(root,text="Quit",command=sys.exit(0))

    Don't do that!! Written like above, sys.exit(0) will be called when the button
    is *created*, not when it is pressed! If you want to do that, write:

    quitButton = Button(root, text='Quit', command=lambda: sys.exit(0))
    --
    - Eric Brunel <> -

    Eric Brunel, Aug 7, 2003