tksnack and socket to real time sampling and playing sound

Discussion in 'Python' started by didifouke@yahoo.com, Mar 29, 2005.

    I try to sample and playback speech using snack. My idea is to have a
    socket based server that plays back the sound and a client that samples
    the input from the sound card and sends it to the server using the
    socket connection.

    On the snack page there is a tutorial showing a socket server
    implementation using tcl: http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/tutorial.html

    I had problems converting that example into python.

    Googling for such a solution I found one discussion back in 2001:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=tksnack+socket&qt_s=Search+Groups

    The difference with this solution is that it is based around python
    socket and does not use the snack internal socket implementation for
    the data input. If I understand that correct there is a limitation as
    the socket.recv(8192) function limits the receivable data to the
    specified buffer size.

    Did somebody use the snack based socket implementation with python?

    Is there a better way to solve this sampling and playback with another
    tool than snack?

    Is snack even capable of doing this? I am looking for pretty low
    sampling rates, like 8kHz.

    I would like to be flexible and use it under Windows and Linux as well.

    TIA

    Didi

    , Mar 29, 2005