    rgds,
    Prashant

    , Dec 4, 2005

  2. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > I have a web application with a number of servlets. I am using Tomcat.
    > I have configured a filter for the web application in its web.xml file.
    > The url pattern which the filter will match is /*. The application
    > servlets are present in ROOT directory, the default web application
    > path. I have also enabled the invoker servlet. It matches the default
    > url pattern /servlet/*.

    What do you mean by 'The application servlets are present in ROOT directory?

    > Can someone explain the sequence of events that happen as a request
    > arrives for a servlet , with URL /servlet/xyz ? How does the filter
    > know where to hand the request to when it reaches
    > chain.doFilter(req,res) ?

    Tomcat fist checks the first part of the url to find the correct web
    application (context).
    Then it executes all the registered listeners, if their URL pattern matches.
    Then it executes the servlet whose URL pattern matches.
    Then it returns the response through the filters back to the browser.

    > There are no other filters and none of the
    > servlets are defined in the web.xml file, so its the invoker servlet
    > which hands the request to servlets i guess. But how to the various
    > components know what is to be done next???

    That is what you specified in your web.xml. There are some more components,
    such as valves. They are Tomcat internal and probably not interesting for
    you.

    Hiran

    Hiran Chaudhuri, Dec 4, 2005

    >Tomcat fist checks the first part of the url to find the correct web
    >application (context).
    >Then it executes all the registered listeners, if their URL pattern matches.
    >Then it executes the servlet whose URL pattern matches.
    >Then it returns the response through the filters back to the browser.
    >Hiran

    Hi,
    what abt request going through filter?? How does the filter know where
    handout the request once its job is done ?? In my case i am not
    defining the servlets in the web.xml file.

    rgds,
    Prashant

    , Dec 5, 2005