Tomcat restart on web.xml change

GuiGui

Hi,

First of all, I am not a java programmer, only the sysadmin.
We are using a java/tomcat application running on tomcat 4.1.
Each time I edit one conf file (tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml)
tomcat restarts. Can someone tell me what I must change to prevent this
behaviour ? I think something in server.xml or global web.xml but I
can't figure what to change/add/insert/delete.

Thanks.

Robert Klemme

First of all, I am not a java programmer, only the sysadmin.
We are using a java/tomcat application running on tomcat 4.1.
Each time I edit one conf file (tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml)
tomcat restarts. Can someone tell me what I must change to prevent this
behaviour ? I think something in server.xml or global web.xml but I
can't figure what to change/add/insert/delete.

Are you sure Tomcat restarts and not just the one web application of
which you change the web.xml? Did you consult Tomcat documentation?

Cheers

robert

Kevin McMurtrie

GuiGui said:
Hi,

First of all, I am not a java programmer, only the sysadmin.
We are using a java/tomcat application running on tomcat 4.1.
Each time I edit one conf file (tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml)
tomcat restarts. Can someone tell me what I must change to prevent this
behaviour ? I think something in server.xml or global web.xml but I
can't figure what to change/add/insert/delete.

Thanks.

reloadable="false" as a context attribute.

You must have reloading turned off in a production environment. As you
patch files, Tomcat is very likely to reload in an inconsistent state.
There are also lots of bugs where classes will exist in multiple
classloaders afterwards. That causes total chaos in all but the
simplest apps.