Tomcat Urgent Help...

christian.jean

Alright, this is quite urgent, my entire production web site is down!

My Tomcat 5.0.28 kept crashing (at least once every 24 hours). Reading
the logs didn't give me any indication as to what was making it crash.
Noticing that many people are complaining about stability, I was
preasured by others to fix the problem or defect to another server.

I wanted to test the Tomcat 5.5 server, so I downloaded it and after
changing all 8XXX ports to their 9XXX equivalent I ran the server.

On port 9080 it ran ok but I couldn't run it on port 9443. So I put in
the entry to point to my SSL certificate. That didn't help either so I
just temporarily gave up trying to test Tomcat 5.5.

Now the problem is that my older version (5.0.28) which was running ok
now does NOT work at all with the https protocol (port 8443) anymore.

I've tried everything but my SSL no longer works! What happened? What
can I do? It's as if 'something' detected that two services were
trying to run the same cert and froze the whole thing?

The Tomcat docs said that I could change the ports and all would work
well... never said that it could somehow break an SSL setup!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jeach!

Daniel Dyer

[...]

It's probably not too helpful to you at this stage for me to suggest that
you should have used a test environment rather than experiment on the
production system. Too late for that now, why don't you just revert to
your backed-up copy of the configuration files? As a last resort you
could restore the whole machine from back-up.
The Tomcat docs said that I could change the ports and all would work
well... never said that it could somehow break an SSL setup!!!

You live and learn.

Dan.