Tooltips for dummies?

Rich Grise

I've got a photo gallery on my client's website, and it has been suggested
that, rather than show the whole thing full-size on one page (about 9 full-
page images), I should put a thumbnails page and link to the big ones.
This makes sense to me, but I see a snag - these pix have fairly
comprehensive captions, and I don't want the thumnails page to be
dominated by captions.

So, I figured tooltips would be cool.

So, I go googling, and there are THOUSANDS of tooltip scripts.

So, how do I pick one? Just try them out one at a time until I stumble
on one I like?

Thanks,
Rich

Steve Swift

So, I go googling, and there are THOUSANDS of tooltip scripts.
So, how do I pick one? Just try them out one at a time until I stumble
on one I like?

Yes, I'm close to the beginning of this path as well. My recommendations
would be:

1. Try them until you find one you really like
2. Test it against as many browsers as you can (I use IE6, IE7, IE8Beta
Firefox, Opera, Safari as a minimum)

The important step is (2). You don't want to go to the trouble of
setting it all up, and getting everything perfect only to get a deluge
of email telling you that it doesn't work for them.

MartinRinehart

Rich said:
So, I figured tooltips would be cool.

So, I go googling, and there are THOUSANDS of tooltip scripts.

For images, none required. Use the title attribute. This will give you
a tooltip in at least MSIE6 and 7, Firefox 1.5, 2, 2/Linux, Opera 9, 9/
Linux and Konqueror.

RobG

Rich said:
I've got a photo gallery on my client's website, and it has been suggested
that, rather than show the whole thing full-size on one page (about 9 full-
page images), I should put a thumbnails page and link to the big ones.
This makes sense to me, but I see a snag - these pix have fairly
comprehensive captions, and I don't want the thumnails page to be
dominated by captions.

So, I figured tooltips would be cool.

Tooltips are annoying, there is a reason why many applications provide
an option to turn them off or provide a delay before they are displayed.
Tool tips obscure parts of the screen, in a gallery they will obscure
parts of the image they are intended to describe. Also, it isn't
obvious that they are there and users can only see one at a time.

If you want to give your images captions, give them captions.

So, I go googling, and there are THOUSANDS of tooltip scripts.

A better strategy might be to find an image gallery that has tool tips
that you like as see what they use. If you can't find any, there might
be a reason for that (see above).

So, how do I pick one? Just try them out one at a time until I stumble
on one I like?

Perhaps you should first determine what you want them to do, then what
features they need to do that. You will then have some objective
criteria for making a decision. Next you can look at the quality of the
code and go from there. Or write the script yourself, it isn't that hard.

MartinRinehart

The title attr appears as a tooltip in all major browsers. Your alt
content appears in MSIE if you don't have a title, so for multi-
browser consistency, you should have a title. The title tooltip
appears for sighted viewers; the alt is for visually impaired
(including search engines).

Tom Cole

Yes, I'm close to the beginning of this path as well. My recommendations
would be:

1. Try them until you find one you really like
2. Test it  against as many browsers as you can (I use IE6, IE7, IE8Beta
    Firefox, Opera, Safari as a minimum)

The important step is (2). You don't want to go to the trouble of
setting it all up, and getting everything perfect only to get a deluge
of email telling you that it doesn't work for them.

I had some good success with Walter Zorn's library:
http://www.walterzorn.com/tooltip/tooltip_e.htm

Rich Grise

For images, none required. Use the title attribute. This will give you a
tooltip in at least MSIE6 and 7, Firefox 1.5, 2, 2/Linux, Opera 9, 9/
Linux and Konqueror.

"TITLE"!!! THAT's IT!!!!! :) :) :) I knew there was _something_ simple,
I just couldn't remember the name of the attribute.

Thanks 10^9. :)

Cheers!
Rich

Andrew Poulos

Thomas said:
No, you did not.

What do you mean?

I've also used it and it does what it says it does. In a recent test it
"behaved" itself under IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari.

Andrew Poulos

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andrew said:
What do you mean?

You have been deceived. Read the Source, Luke.
I've also used it and it does what it says it does. In a recent test it
"behaved" itself under IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari.

See?

PointedEars

Gregor Kofler

Andrew Poulos meinte:
What fault(s) have you found with it as I haven't found any?

You didn't have a look at the source, did you? Since TT relies heavily
on ugly browser sniffing it "works" more or less by coincidence. I
haven't scanned the script for mistakes, but JSLint stops with
"Problem at line 86 character 30: Too many errors. (6% scanned)."
Apart from that, the script oozes this "style from the last millenium":
....tt_tShow = new Number(0)...

tt_u = "undefined"... ...
typeof(eval("w" + "indow" + "." + "o" + "p" + "er" + "a")) != tt_u

Puhleese!

But then: Since tooltips are pretty useless for most of the time, a
broken tooltip script won't be noticed by many...

Gregor