    Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Feb 25, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Mark Parnell Guest

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.4.3

    > Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?

    They won't display in NS4. If they are too long, Mozilla won't display
    the whole thing. They don't stay on screen very long, making them hard
    to read unless they are very short anyway.

    If you want to create your own, you'll have to resort to javascript
    (with the usual caveats), or look into the :hover pseudo-class and the
    display property in CSS (but the CSS version won't work in IE). A
    combination of the 2 may be possible.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 25, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:23:01 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:

    > What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
    > "tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a
    > textual
    > explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
    > Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    www.porjes.com
    Go to css examples then check out "brucie's tooltip".
    Do not use with images though.

    www.dynamicdrive.com
    Check out their various scripts for tooltips.

    Just search for "javascript tooltips" or "css tooltips".

    Richard, Feb 25, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    mbstevens Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
    > "tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a textual
    > explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
    > Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    _____________________
    CSS:

    abbr, acronym, .help {
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #444; /* differs from link underline */
    cursor: help; /* helps make it plain this is not a link */
    }
    ______________________
    Markup uses title as popup text:

    <acronym title="Explain With Popup">
    EWP</acronym>

    explan me</span>

    ( See http://www.realworldstyle.com/css_help.html
    for more examples and more complete explanation.
    These things can indeed be very useful.)
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/ (has more examples)

    mbstevens, Feb 25, 2005