Tooltips? on page.

KiwiBrian

What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
"tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a textual
explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
"tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a textual
explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.4.3

Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?

They won't display in NS4. If they are too long, Mozilla won't display
the whole thing. They don't stay on screen very long, making them hard
to read unless they are very short anyway.

If you want to create your own, you'll have to resort to javascript
(with the usual caveats), or look into the :hover pseudo-class and the
display property in CSS (but the CSS version won't work in IE). A
combination of the 2 may be possible.

Richard

What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
"tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a
textual
explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
TIA
Brian Tozer

www.porjes.com
Go to css examples then check out "brucie's tooltip".
Do not use with images though.

www.dynamicdrive.com
Check out their various scripts for tooltips.

Just search for "javascript tooltips" or "css tooltips".

mbstevens

KiwiBrian said:
What phrase would I search for to find out how to implement the fancy
"tooltip-like" popunders that can be used on a web page to give a textual
explanation of a hovered area or word on the page?
Is there any significant issues or disadvantage to using them?
TIA
Brian Tozer

_____________________
CSS:

abbr, acronym, .help {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #444; /* differs from link underline */
cursor: help; /* helps make it plain this is not a link */
}
Markup uses title as popup text:

<acronym title="Explain With Popup">
EWP</acronym>

explan me</span>

( See http://www.realworldstyle.com/css_help.html
for more examples and more complete explanation.
These things can indeed be very useful.)