Tracing ASP.NET

Damon Allison

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to export trace output (via trace.axd or
otherwise) to a text file. I would like to search on different requests for
certain conditions that are occuring in our code. What I am doing today is
using trace.axd and viewing each request by hand and scanning for certain
events. Since this particular event only occurs in 1/10 posts, it is
tedious to say the least. If I could get the info exported into a text
file, I can regex on what I need quite easily.

Thanks,
Damon

Hans Kesting

Damon Allison said:
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to export trace output (via trace.axd or
otherwise) to a text file. I would like to search on different requests for
certain conditions that are occuring in our code. What I am doing today is
using trace.axd and viewing each request by hand and scanning for certain
events. Since this particular event only occurs in 1/10 posts, it is
tedious to say the least. If I could get the info exported into a text
file, I can regex on what I need quite easily.

Thanks,
Damon

from MSDN:

----
You can customize the tracing output's target by adding TraceListener
instances
to or removing instances from the Listeners collection. By default, trace
output
is emitted using the DefaultTraceListener class.
----

Sounds like this is what you need. I've never used it though, so I can't
help you further.

Hans Kesting

Damon Allison

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you looking in the System.Diagnostics namespace? That namespace does
not appear to have an impact on the ASP.NET System.Web.TraceContext class
that outputs information to trace.axd.

Thanks,
Damon