Training question

Guest

I am thinking about taking a class called Upgrading your skills from ASP to
ASP.NET- or the Intense ASP.NET course.

1. Does it really matter where I go- since all the content should be the
same?
2. I've been working with ASP for around 4 months now, on and off. Will I
be ready for this level of class?

Scott M.

j said:
I am thinking about taking a class called Upgrading your skills from ASP to
ASP.NET- or the Intense ASP.NET course.

Is this a certified course? Who is offering it? If it is not a certified
course, then you can't compare from vendor to vendor.
the same?

Yes, it matters. There are good instructors and bad instructors, good
course flow and poor course flow.
2. I've been working with ASP for around 4 months now, on and off. Will
I be ready for this level of class?

Since you are so new to classic ASP, I wouldn't take this course at all.
ASP.NET is completely different from classic ASP. You should start with a
beginning ASP.NET course. Or even a beginning VB.NET course.

Scott M.

I am the owner of an IT training company, so I offer this advice from a
trainers perspective....

MS Certification classes aren't always the way to go. If you are working
towards a certification, then sure, they are they "only" way to go. If you
are taking classes because you want to learn and understand the
product/technology, then MS Certified classes don't always deliver. The
problem is that the instructor must use the MS provided courseware, teach
the MS provided labs and follow the MS provided lesson plan. I've found
this very restricting when trying to teach real-world solutions in a
real-world environment.

Since you are new to .NET and don't have much experience with ASP anyway, I
would recommend an Intro. to VB.NET course that has emphasis on ASP.NET
application development. Look for a training vendor that has a lot of
experience teaching .NET and instructors who not only teach .NET, but
actually develop in .NET as well (consultants perhaps). Don't be afraid to
ask how much experience the instructor teaching the course has had and if
he/she has ever developed real-world applications in .NET besides just
teaching it.

What part of the world are you in?

Scott M.

Hi Jesse,

We are in the northeast (Hartford, CT area), so I don't think we can help
you. The website is TechTrainSolutions.com. You should take a look at out
..NET course outlines to get a feel for the type of things covered in the
VB.NET class vs. the ASP.NET class.

In addition, we use the MS Press books "Programming Visual Basic .NET" and
"Programming ASP .NET", which I have found to be very clear and well written
books, you may want to take a look at them.

Good luck!

-Scott