trouble installing rubygems 0.8.10

Steve Kelem

I'm trying to install rubygems-0.8.10 on ruby 1.8.2 on Cygwin.

Any idea of what's wrong?

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem

Here are the messages I get:
% ruby setup.rb
---> bin
<--- bin
---> bin
<--- bin
rm -f InstalledFiles
---> bin
mkdir -p /usr/local/bin/
install gem /usr/local/bin/
install gemwhich /usr/local/bin/
install gem_server /usr/local/bin/
install generate_yaml_index.rb /usr/local/bin/
install update_rubygems /usr/local/bin/
<--- bin

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a while)...
....done.
No library stubs found.

/usr/local/src/rubygems-0.8.10/./post-install.rb:62:in `require': No
such file to load -- rubygems (
LoadError)
from /usr/local/src/rubygems-0.8.10/./post-install.rb:62:in
`install_sources'
from /usr/local/src/rubygems-0.8.10/./post-install.rb:74:in
`instance_eval'
from setup.rb:583:in `instance_eval'
from setup.rb:583:in `try_run_hook'
from setup.rb:577:in `run_hook'
from setup.rb:1315:in `exec_task_traverse'
from setup.rb:1168:in `exec_install'
from setup.rb:887:in `exec_install'
from setup.rb:705:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:674:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:1352

Chad Fowler

I'm trying to install rubygems-0.8.10 on ruby 1.8.2 on Cygwin.
=20
Any idea of what's wrong?
=20
Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem
=20
Here are the messages I get:
% ruby setup.rb
---> bin
<--- bin
---> bin
<--- bin
rm -f InstalledFiles
---> bin
mkdir -p /usr/local/bin/
install gem /usr/local/bin/
install gemwhich /usr/local/bin/
install gem_server /usr/local/bin/
install generate_yaml_index.rb /usr/local/bin/
install update_rubygems /usr/local/bin/
<--- bin
=20

For some reason, it stopped installing after 'bin'. It should have
installed everything under "lib" as well. I'm not a Cygwin user these
days, and I don't have a machine handy to test it on. Anyone else
using Cygwin who could say whether this is a problem that all Cygwin
users will experience?

Steve, can you verify that there is indeed a "lib" directory in the
rubygems-0.8.10 source you have untarred?

Thanks!

--=20

Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org=20
http://rubygarden.org=20
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 500,000 gems served!)

Steve Kelem

Chad Fowler said the following on 6/14/2005 4:49 AM:
For some reason, it stopped installing after 'bin'. It should have
installed everything under "lib" as well. I'm not a Cygwin user these
days, and I don't have a machine handy to test it on. Anyone else
using Cygwin who could say whether this is a problem that all Cygwin
users will experience?

Steve, can you verify that there is indeed a "lib" directory in the
rubygems-0.8.10 source you have untarred?
Why, no. There isn't one!
% ls
ChangeLog README Rakefile Releases TODO bin/ doc/ examples/ post-install.rb setup.rb

It was a problem with my unpacking the sources improperly! (tar xzvf rubygems-0.8.10.tgz | head)

Now it's working. Thanks for the help!

Steve