Trouble With Session State

Joey

Hello,

I am having trouble with session state in my asp.net 1.1 C# web app. I
am trying to program either a popup box warning of expiration, or I
may do a redirect to the home page upon expiration.

But I can't seem to get started, because I am getting values that I do
not understand. In IIS settings, I stopped my website/app and went
into the properties for it and selected the "Home Directory" tab. Then
I clicked the "Configuration" button and selected the "Options" tab.
Then under the "Application Configuration" group, I verified that the
box for "Enable session state" was checked. Then I changed the value
to "2" (just for testing). I then saved and restarted my website.

Then I opened the site in Visual Studio.net and went into the
web.config file and changed the forms authentication timeout value to
"1" (again, just for testing).

Then when I ran my code, in debug mode/step through, I can see that
the value being returned for "this.Session.Timeout" is "15"??? What's
going on here? I thought that when I set the value in IIS, it would
make it 2, but that didn't happen? Where is this number coming from?
How can I change/control it?

Your help is much appreciated.

JP

John Saunders [MVP]

Joey said:
Hello,

I am having trouble with session state in my asp.net 1.1 C# web app. I
am trying to program either a popup box warning of expiration, or I
may do a redirect to the home page upon expiration.

But I can't seem to get started, because I am getting values that I do
not understand. In IIS settings, I stopped my website/app and went
into the properties for it and selected the "Home Directory" tab. Then
I clicked the "Configuration" button and selected the "Options" tab.
Then under the "Application Configuration" group, I verified that the
box for "Enable session state" was checked. Then I changed the value
to "2" (just for testing). I then saved and restarted my website.

I believe these values are for classic ASP, not for ASP.NET.