Trouble with Struts - validation before form is displayed

Discussion in 'Java' started by olivier, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. olivier

    olivier Guest

    Hello,

    I'm currently having a problem with the Struts validator.
    I have a very simple Struts bean (extending ValidatorForm) associated
    with an action and a JSP form

    [From struts-config.xml]
    <action path="/EditionPersonne"
    type="com.myproject.actions.EditerPersonneAction"
    scope="session" name="EditerPersonneForm"
    input="/pages/EditerPersonne.jsp"
    parameter="do"
    validate="true">
    <forward name="afficherEditionPersonne"
    path="/pages/EditionPersonne.jsp"/>
    <forward name="afficherAjoutPersonne"
    path="/pages/AjoutPersonne.jsp" />
    </action>
    [end of listing]

    The matter is that the method validate() is called BEFORE the form is
    displayed. So if the Struts bean is filled in with wrong values at this
    very moment, the validator causes an error and Struts redirects me to
    the "input" error page, and the action (which populates the form
    with the right data) is never called !
    I have another quite alike project where the validate is not called
    before the JSP (to me it should be the normal behaviour), so I guess
    this is a simple problem of configuration, but I just was not able to
    find it.
    Does anyone have a clue ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Olivier