Trying to Authenticate to a remote Webservice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Chip, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Chip

    Chip Guest

    Hi -

    I have an ASP.NET Webservice that needs to call a "remote Webservice"
    as a specific user, different from the User that is calling MY
    Webservice, but I'm not able to find what it is I need to do to take
    the User Name and Domain that are parameters to MY Webservice and
    authenticate to the remote Webservice.

    I'm certain that it's not rocket science, I'm just not familiar enough
    with this part of things to be able to kmopw what to do.

    BTW: I'm doing this in VB.NET

    <WebMethod()> _
    Public Function ContactCreate(ByVal entity As
    System.Xml.XmlElement, User as String, Domain as String) As
    System.Guid
    Dim ws As New ContactWebService
    Try
    ' ------------------------------------------------------------
    ' (I'm Assuming that there is SOMETHING that I do to/with my
    ContactWebService instance (which was generated via the wsdl.exe
    program)
    ' ------------------------------------------------------------
    Return ws.Create(entity)
    Catch ex As Exception
    Dim evntLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog("",
    System.Environment.MachineName, "Start")
    evntLog.WriteEntry("Excpetion Caught: " + ex.Message,
    System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType.Information, 2)
    End Try
    End Function

    Can someone please point me in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance
    Chip
    Chip, Jun 27, 2007

  2. "Chip" <> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I have an ASP.NET Webservice that needs to call a "remote Webservice"
    > as a specific user, different from the User that is calling MY
    > Webservice, but I'm not able to find what it is I need to do to take
    > the User Name and Domain that are parameters to MY Webservice and
    > authenticate to the remote Webservice.
    >
    > I'm certain that it's not rocket science, I'm just not familiar enough
    > with this part of things to be able to kmopw what to do.
    >
    > BTW: I'm doing this in VB.NET
    >
    > <WebMethod()> _
    > Public Function ContactCreate(ByVal entity As
    > System.Xml.XmlElement, User as String, Domain as String) As
    > System.Guid
    > Dim ws As New ContactWebService
    > Try
    > ' ------------------------------------------------------------
    > ' (I'm Assuming that there is SOMETHING that I do to/with my
    > ContactWebService instance (which was generated via the wsdl.exe
    > program)
    > ' ------------------------------------------------------------
    > Return ws.Create(entity)
    > Catch ex As Exception
    > Dim evntLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog("",
    > System.Environment.MachineName, "Start")
    > evntLog.WriteEntry("Excpetion Caught: " + ex.Message,
    > System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType.Information, 2)
    > End Try
    > End Function
    >

    > Can someone please point me in the right direction?

    There's no generic answer to this question. It depends entirely on the
    remote service. For instance, it appears that the Create operation doesn't
    want your username and password, but perhaps there's a Login operation that
    does. There's no way for us to know, so you should ask the people who are in
    charge of the remote service.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Jun 28, 2007