Upgrading a 1.1 webservice to a 3.5 webservice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. I have a previous development environment on a XP machine using 1.1
    ..NetFramework and SQLServer 2000 and VS 2003. The code is gold.

    I am now attempting to move those projects to a Vista machine, using 3.5 SP1
    ..NetFramework and SQLServer 2008. The windows application upgraded with
    little problems. It depends on the webservice to interface with SQLServer.

    The webservice and the windows application are separate solutions. Even
    though the webservice appears to be set up correctly in IIS 7.0 (I can
    navigate to it directly using IE and all the methods show), I cannot debug it.

    I get this error when trying to access this line of code:

    Private Sub SetAppData()
    Dim ds As New DataSet
    Dim rw As DataRow

    ds.Merge(wsCommon.GetAppData) <--Errors here

    Error Message:

    Unable to automatically step into the server. Unable to determine a
    stopping location. Verify symbols are loaded. Symbol not found:
    DMSDataWS.wsCommon.GetAppData().

    The webservice is located at http://localhost/dmsdataws/wscommon.asmx. The
    only problem I encountered with the upgrade is that VS Studio 2008 and IIS
    7.0 didn't seem to know what to do with the Global.asax file.

    I appreciate any help on this.
    Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Thanks for replying. Unfortunately those steps did not change anything. The
    only thing I can imagine are permissions within Vista but I am run VS 2008 as
    administrator. So I am bufuddled.

    wrl

    Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 9, 2009

  3. Whiskey Romeo Lima

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Whiskey Romeo Lima" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Thanks for replying. Unfortunately those steps did not change anything.
    > The
    > only thing I can imagine are permissions within Vista but I am run VS 2008
    > as
    > administrator. So I am bufuddled.

    Are you running with elavated permissions using UAC with VS or using the
    hidden admin account on Vista?

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4235 (20090711) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 12, 2009
  4. Sorry for the delay in my response but the MSDN Newsgroups were unavailble
    over the weekend. I am using the hidden Admin account when I run VS. It
    should have been using my user account but instead it was the Network Service
    account. It was indeed persmission problems. I found this out by unchecking
    Show User Friendly Error messages in IE.

    Once I gave that account permisions to folder and a login to the SQL Server
    2008 and granted it permission to the database. Everything worked.

    Which begs the question, how can I find out how an applications is
    connecting to IIS and SQL Server ahead of time and how can I control it so it
    will work on development machine (at home) and the production machine/network
    (at my customer's network).

    wrl

    Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 13, 2009
  5. Whiskey Romeo Lima

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Whiskey Romeo Lima" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Sorry for the delay in my response but the MSDN Newsgroups were unavailble
    > over the weekend. I am using the hidden Admin account when I run VS. It
    > should have been using my user account but instead it was the Network
    > Service
    > account. It was indeed persmission problems. I found this out by
    > unchecking
    > Show User Friendly Error messages in IE.
    >
    > Once I gave that account permisions to folder and a login to the SQL
    > Server
    > 2008 and granted it permission to the database. Everything worked.
    >
    > Which begs the question, how can I find out how an applications is
    > connecting to IIS and SQL Server ahead of time and how can I control it so
    > it
    > will work on development machine (at home) and the production
    > machine/network
    > (at my customer's network).

    If it were me, I would set up a test harness doing a functional test against
    the backend. This can done without a UI and using a ClassLib project that
    has a reference to a Web service or to a DAL, as an example. With the use
    of Resharper, MBUnit and Gallio as tools to run the functional test with the
    Classlib project against real references in the project, to test
    connectivity from home or at the client's site, it could be tested that way.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4240 (20090713) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 14, 2009