Trying to install module with CPAN

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by simon, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. simon

    simon Guest

    Hi I've been trying for days to install the module MIME::Base64 with
    CPAN but no matter how I try it never seems to work. I am on SUSE 9.1,
    Perl is pre-installed: version 5.8.3. I am a total newbie when it comes
    to perl but I have scanned the Internet for answers and now turn to
    asking for help. Heres how it looks:

    cpan> o conf
    CPAN::Config options from /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/CPAN/Config.pm:
    commit Commit changes to disk
    defaults Reload defaults from disk
    init Interactive setting of all options

    build_cache 10
    build_dir /root/.cpan/build
    cache_metadata 1
    cpan_home /root/.cpan
    dontload_hash
    ftp /usr/bin/ftp
    ftp_proxy
    getcwd cwd
    gpg /usr/bin/gpg
    gzip /usr/bin/gzip
    histfile /root/.cpan/histfile
    histsize 100
    http_proxy
    inactivity_timeout 0
    index_expire 1
    inhibit_startup_message 0
    keep_source_where /root/.cpan/sources
    lynx
    make
    make_arg
    make_install_arg
    makepl_arg
    ncftp
    ncftpget
    no_proxy localhost
    pager less
    prerequisites_policy ask
    scan_cache atstart
    shell /bin/bash
    tar /bin/tar
    term_is_latin 1
    unzip /usr/bin/unzip
    urllist
    ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/
    ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/lang/perl/CPAN/
    wget /usr/bin/wget

    cpan> o conf makepl_arg PREFIX=/root/.cpan
    makepl_arg PREFIX=/root/.cpan

    cpan> install MIME::Base64
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:50:14 GMT
    LWP not available
    CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
    Fetching with Net::FTP:
    ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    LWP not available
    Fetching with Net::FTP:
    ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    Database was generated on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 05:56:01 GMT
    HTTP::Date not available
    LWP not available
    Fetching with Net::FTP:
    ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Running install for module MIME::Base64
    Running make for G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz
    CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
    Checksum for
    /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz ok
    Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
    MIME-Base64-3.05/
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/warn.t
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/bad-sv.t
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/unicode.t
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/quoted-print.t
    MIME-Base64-3.05/t/base64.t
    MIME-Base64-3.05/README
    MIME-Base64-3.05/QuotedPrint.pm
    MIME-Base64-3.05/MANIFEST
    MIME-Base64-3.05/decode-qp
    MIME-Base64-3.05/encode-base64
    MIME-Base64-3.05/encode-qp
    MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.pm
    MIME-Base64-3.05/Changes
    MIME-Base64-3.05/Makefile.PL
    MIME-Base64-3.05/decode-base64
    MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.xs
    Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/MIME-Base64-3.05

    CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz

    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for MIME::Base64
    -- NOT OK
    Running make test
    Can't test without successful make
    Running make install
    make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

    cpan>

    simon, Dec 5, 2004

  2. simon

    Jim Keenan Guest

    simon wrote:
    > Hi I've been trying for days to install the module MIME::Base64 with
    > CPAN but no matter how I try it never seems to work. I am on SUSE 9.1,
    > Perl is pre-installed: version 5.8.3. I am a total newbie when it comes
    > to perl but I have scanned the Internet for answers and now turn to
    > asking for help. Heres how it looks:
    >

    > cpan> o conf

    [snip]

    > cpan> install MIME::Base64

    [snip]

    > MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.xs
    > Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/MIME-Base64-3.05
    >
    > CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz
    >
    > Checking if your kit is complete...
    > Looks good
    > Writing Makefile for MIME::Base64
    > -- NOT OK
    > Running make test
    > Can't test without successful make
    > Running make install
    > make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

    Let's test one possibility: MIME::Base64 uses C-code via file
    Base64.xs. Hence, you need a working C compiler. Could there be
    something wrong with our C compiler? (Try writing and compiling a
    simple C program. Also, try installing from CPAN one other distribution
    which has a .xs file and one which does *not*.)

    jimk

    Jim Keenan, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Jim Keenan wrote:
    > simon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I've been trying for days to install the module MIME::Base64 with
    >> CPAN but no matter how I try it never seems to work. I am on SUSE 9.1,
    >> Perl is pre-installed: version 5.8.3. I am a total newbie when it
    >> comes to perl but I have scanned the Internet for answers and now turn
    >> to asking for help. Heres how it looks:
    >>

    >> cpan> o conf
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >> cpan> install MIME::Base64

    > [snip]
    >
    >> MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.xs
    >> Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/MIME-Base64-3.05
    >>
    >> CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz
    >>
    >> Checking if your kit is complete...
    >> Looks good
    >> Writing Makefile for MIME::Base64
    >> -- NOT OK
    >> Running make test
    >> Can't test without successful make
    >> Running make install
    >> make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
    >>

    > Let's test one possibility: MIME::Base64 uses C-code via file
    > Base64.xs. Hence, you need a working C compiler. Could there be
    > something wrong with our C compiler? (Try writing and compiling a
    > simple C program. Also, try installing from CPAN one other distribution
    > which has a .xs file and one which does *not*.)
    >
    > jimk

    Hi jimk

    You hit the nail on the head! The C- compiler was....er...non existant!
    I assumed it was already installed as part of the SUSE 9.1 std
    configuration but alas...

    Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated.

    //Simon

    simon hawkins, Dec 5, 2004
  4. simon

    Jim Keenan Guest

    simon hawkins wrote:
    > Jim Keenan wrote:
    >

    >> Let's test one possibility: MIME::Base64 uses C-code via file
    >> Base64.xs. Hence, you need a working C compiler. Could there be
    >> something wrong with our C compiler? (Try writing and compiling a
    >> simple C program. Also, try installing from CPAN one other
    >> distribution which has a .xs file and one which does *not*.)
    >>
    >> jimk

    > Hi jimk
    >
    > You hit the nail on the head! The C- compiler was....er...non existant!
    > I assumed it was already installed as part of the SUSE 9.1 std
    > configuration but alas...

    I'm not familiar with SUSE Linux, but, based on my experience with
    RedHat, I would have made the same assumption.

    OTOH, Mac OS X is based on BSD, but you have to install the Developer
    Tools package yourself to get goodies like the C-compiler there. So
    perhaps this is not so wierd as it seems at first.

    jimk

    Jim Keenan, Dec 5, 2004