trying to run PurifyPlus in windows

mattyulrich

Hi -
I'm having some trouble trying to run PurifyPlus in windows using
cygwin. Just to try and get it rollin', I set up a basic helloworld.c
program.

I compile/link as:

gcc -c helloworld.c
purify gcc helloworld.o -o helloworld

And rather than instrumenting the helloworld object file, it appears
that purify is attempting to instrument gcc.exe
(%CYGWIN_HOME%/bin/gcc.exe).

Is it even possible to run purify with cygwin gcc/g++? Or is the
windows version of purify very different from the unix/solaris version?

Sorry if this is obscure/offtopic - I'm getting slightly desperate
here.
Thanks - have a good afternoon.
Matty U!

helloworld.c
-------------
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
printf("Hello World!");
}
-------------

Walter Roberson

:I'm having some trouble trying to run PurifyPlus in windows using
:cygwin. Just to try and get it rollin', I set up a basic helloworld.c
:program.

:I compile/link as:

:gcc -c helloworld.c
:purify gcc helloworld.o -o helloworld

gcc -o helloworld helloworld.c
purify helloworld

I do not know what naming convention Purify uses in windows; in unix
this would produce helloworld.pure

:#include <stdio.h>
:int main() {
: printf("Hello World!");
:}

If you are using Standard C, you should use int main(void)
instead of leaving out the parameter. Also, you probably want
a \n before your closing quote.

mattyulrich

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, it appears that the windows
version of purify is misbehaving. I suspect it may not support
cygwin/gnu compilation - of course, I can't be sure of anything right
now. I'm going to keep this on my mind and examine a few other memory
profiling programs. Any suggestions?
Thanks - have a good one.
Matt

CBFalconer

mattyulrich said:
Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, it appears that the windows
version of purify is misbehaving. I suspect it may not support
cygwin/gnu compilation - of course, I can't be sure of anything
right now. I'm going to keep this on my mind and examine a few
other memory profiling programs. Any suggestions?

If you are using cygwin/gcc just try "info gprof" and you have it
all. No need for expensive stuff with bugs.

Krishanu Debnath

CBFalconer said:
mattyulrich wrote:

If you are using cygwin/gcc just try "info gprof" and you have it
all. No need for expensive stuff with bugs.
gprof is not a memory profiler tool. I am not sure valgrind is ported on
cygwin.

Krishanu

Alan Balmer

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, it appears that the windows
version of purify is misbehaving. I suspect it may not support
cygwin/gnu compilation - of course, I can't be sure of anything right
now. I'm going to keep this on my mind and examine a few other memory
profiling programs. Any suggestions?

Yes - post your question in a forum where Purify or Windows, or both,
are topical. You are *much* more likely to get good help than you are
here, where the topic is the C language itself, not tools or specific
implementations.