Two windows: one for IE7 and the other for FF3

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by DL, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. DL

    DL Guest

    The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).

    Scenario: IE7 is the main browser, from there launch a small FF3, do
    stuff and this child window has a hidden field for 'action' as well,
    once done, the user switch back to the main IE window, continue doing
    stuff, then save and (possibly exit as well), this save action from
    the main window, ideally can perform: a) execute the hidden 'action'
    of the FF3 child windown; b) execute an action of its own. Hence, for
    this to happen, the key question is, how to reference the foreign
    window's object (FF3 window here) from the main IE7 window? Oh, you
    may ask, first how do you launch the FF3 window session, well, the
    application would address that.
    Any idea?

    TIA.
    DL, Oct 19, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. DL

    DL Guest

    On Oct 19, 7:19 pm, "Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com>
    wrote:
    > "DL" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    > > things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    > > assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).

    >
    > You might be better off looking for solutions to the "missing" IE features.
    > Your proposal to mix IE and FF seems the wrong approach, even for a
    > "controlled" environment.
    >
    > Tim
    >
    >
    >
    > > Scenario: IE7 is the main browser, from there launch a small FF3, do
    > > stuff and this child window has a hidden field for 'action' as well,
    > > once done, the user switch back to the main IE window, continue doing
    > > stuff, then save and (possibly exit as well), this save action from
    > > the main window, ideally can perform: a) execute the hidden 'action'
    > > of the FF3 child windown; b) execute an action of its own.  Hence, for
    > > this to happen, the key question is, how to reference the foreign
    > > window's object (FF3 window here) from the main IE7 window?   Oh, you
    > > may ask, first how do you launch the FF3 window session, well, the
    > > application would address that.
    > > Any idea?

    >
    > > TIA.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Yes, stick with IE for 'everything' is the most desirable/elegant
    solution, however, my understanding is, the the "missing" IE feature
    is not going to be available any time soon (here we're talking about
    in a few months time frame or the like...), building such feature
    oneself to include security integration with existing IE, say, IE7,
    would be daunting... hence, I opted to this approach, since my last
    post I've made substantial progress already... I appreciate your
    thought though.
    DL, Oct 20, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. DL

    Doug Gunnoe Guest

    On Oct 19, 11:11 pm, DL <> wrote:
    > On Oct 19, 7:19 pm, "Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > "DL" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >news:...

    >
    > > > The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    > > > things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    > > > assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).

    >
    > > You might be better off looking for solutions to the "missing" IE features.
    > > Your proposal to mix IE and FF seems the wrong approach, even for a
    > > "controlled" environment.

    >
    > > Tim

    >
    > > > Scenario: IE7 is the main browser, from there launch a small FF3, do
    > > > stuff and this child window has a hidden field for 'action' as well,
    > > > once done, the user switch back to the main IE window, continue doing
    > > > stuff, then save and (possibly exit as well), this save action from
    > > > the main window, ideally can perform: a) execute the hidden 'action'
    > > > of the FF3 child windown; b) execute an action of its own. Hence, for
    > > > this to happen, the key question is, how to reference the foreign
    > > > window's object (FF3 window here) from the main IE7 window? Oh, you
    > > > may ask, first how do you launch the FF3 window session, well, the
    > > > application would address that.
    > > > Any idea?

    >
    > > > TIA.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Yes, stick with IE for 'everything' is the most desirable/elegant
    > solution, however, my understanding is, the the "missing" IE feature
    > is not going to be available any time soon (here we're talking about
    > in a few months time frame or the like...), building such feature
    > oneself to include security integration with existing IE, say, IE7,
    > would be daunting... hence, I opted to this approach, since my last
    > post I've made substantial progress already... I appreciate your
    > thought though.


    Why not just create your own browser? Seems like it would be less work.
    Doug Gunnoe, Oct 20, 2008
    #3
  4. DL meinte:
    > The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    > things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    > assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).
    >
    > Scenario: IE7 is the main browser, from there launch a small FF3, do
    > stuff and this child window has a hidden field for 'action' as well,
    > once done, the user switch back to the main IE window, continue doing
    > stuff, then save and (possibly exit as well), this save action from
    > the main window, ideally can perform: a) execute the hidden 'action'
    > of the FF3 child windown; b) execute an action of its own. Hence, for
    > this to happen, the key question is, how to reference the foreign
    > window's object (FF3 window here) from the main IE7 window? Oh, you
    > may ask, first how do you launch the FF3 window session, well, the
    > application would address that.
    > Any idea?


    Sounds pretty gaga.

    Gregor
    Gregor Kofler, Oct 20, 2008
    #4
  5. DL

    rf Guest

    "Gregor Kofler" <> wrote in message
    news:VYXKk.35$...
    > DL meinte:
    >> The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    >> things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    >> assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).


    I've been waiting for you to tell us what these features are. That is, what
    does IE7 do that FF(any version) does not and what FF(any version) does that
    IE7 does not. I can think of a very large number of such things but I don't
    know which ones you intend to rely on.

    I really think you are painting yourself into a very small corner. If not
    you yourself then the person who has to pick up the pieces when you are gone
    from your current position. Your replacement will IMHO very often get that
    WTF feeling.

    And what about people who buy new windows computers, the ones that ship with
    vista and IE8? Another page for them? Or are you going to retrofit IE7 into
    those computers under your "controlled" use environment. Recipe for total
    disaster.

    In any case there is no way at all you are going to reference anything in a
    FF windew from IE, nor the other way round. Browsers simply do not do this,
    especially when one of them is written by Microsoft.
    rf, Oct 20, 2008
    #5
  6. DL

    Jorge Guest

    On Oct 19, 7:10 am, DL <> wrote:
    > The rationale is that certain IE7 features are great while FF3 got
    > things that IE7 doesn't and the user has both browsers installed (not
    > assumption but a requirement for "controled" use environment).
    >
    > Scenario: IE7 is the main browser, from there launch a small FF3, do
    > stuff and this child window has a hidden field for 'action' as well,
    > once done, the user switch back to the main IE window, continue doing
    > stuff, then save and (possibly exit as well), this save action from
    > the main window, ideally can perform: a) execute the hidden 'action'
    > of the FF3 child windown; b) execute an action of its own.  Hence, for
    > this to happen, the key question is, how to reference the foreign
    > window's object (FF3 window here) from the main IE7 window?   Oh, you
    > may ask, first how do you launch the FF3 window session, well, the
    > application would address that.
    > Any idea?
    >


    In a Mac this can be done with an applescript script. The main
    browser's window can invoke Safari via an applescript://commandsHere
    url and the Safari's applescript dictionary's command "do JavaScript"
    allows you to insert+execute+retrieve any JS code/data into a page/
    tab.

    In Windozes, I don't know how much scriptable the apps are, or if they
    are scriptable at all.

    Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    the server, isn't it ?

    --
    Jorge.
    Jorge, Oct 20, 2008
    #6
  7. Jorge meinte:

    > Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    > the server, isn't it ?


    Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.

    Gregor
    Gregor Kofler, Oct 21, 2008
    #7
  8. Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > Jorge meinte:
    >> Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    >> the server, isn't it ?

    >
    > Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    > gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.


    It is possible to run Firefox (or any other application) from IE, using the
    Windows Script Host.

    It is also possible to a certain extent to run IE/MSHTML from/in Firefox,
    using the MSHTML ActiveX/COM control. The IE Tab extension does that
    already, and it can be configured so that it is automatically triggered with
    certain URIs (a per-profile setting, though).


    PointedEars
    --
    Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people
    who don't know javascript. People who don't know javascript are not
    the best source of advice on designing systems that use javascript.
    -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$>
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 21, 2008
    #8
  9. DL

    DL Guest

    On Oct 21, 8:06 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > > Jorge meinte:
    > >> Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    > >> the server, isn't it ?

    >
    > > Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    > > gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.

    >
    > It is possible to run Firefox (or any other application) from IE, using the
    > Windows Script Host.
    >
    > It is also possible to a certain extent to run IE/MSHTML from/in Firefox,
    > using the MSHTML ActiveX/COM control.  The IE Tab extension does that
    > already, and it can be configured so that it is automatically triggered with
    > certain URIs (a per-profile setting, though).
    >
    > PointedEars
    > --
    > Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people
    > who don't know javascript. People who don't know javascript are not
    > the best source of advice on designing systems that use javascript.
    >   -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$>


    Right on, and I wouldn't do it if I had another option. And not only
    possible, I've made it work already, and yet I don't know how to call/
    trigger action of the other brower, probably need to look further of
    two types of underlining technologies...
    DL, Oct 21, 2008
    #9
  10. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
    > Gregor Kofler wrote:
    >> Jorge meinte:
    >>> Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    >>> the server, isn't it ?

    >> Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    >> gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.

    >
    > It is possible to run Firefox (or any other application) from IE, using the
    > Windows Script Host.


    Agreed (since you can start whatever application you wan't to start with
    WS Host). But then it's just firing up FF - establishing interaction
    between the FF JS and the IE JS gonna be tough part. One could try to
    implement this communication with XHR, though I suppose it's gonna be
    rather hit-or-miss and a rather arkward user experience.


    Gregor
    Gregor Kofler, Oct 22, 2008
    #10
  11. Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
    >> Gregor Kofler wrote:
    >>> Jorge meinte:
    >>>> Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    >>>> the server, isn't it ?
    >>> Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    >>> gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.

    >> It is possible to run Firefox (or any other application) from IE, using the
    >> Windows Script Host.

    >
    > Agreed (since you can start whatever application you wan't to start with
    > WS Host). But then it's just firing up FF - establishing interaction
    > between the FF JS and the IE JS gonna be tough part.


    Correct. That is the part of the discussion that "DL" unfortunately does
    not seem to get.

    > One could try to implement this communication with XHR, [...]


    I don't think so. How do you suggest to distribute an XHR object between
    two incompatible DOMs?


    PointedEars
    --
    Use any version of Microsoft Frontpage to create your site.
    (This won't prevent people from viewing your source, but no one
    will want to steal it.)
    -- from <http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm>
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 22, 2008
    #11
  12. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:

    >> One could try to implement this communication with XHR, [...]

    >
    > I don't think so. How do you suggest to distribute an XHR object between
    > two incompatible DOMs?


    I was thinking of both browsers doing their data exchange with the help
    of a server and - naturally - two seperate XHR objects. This would need
    constant polling on both sides, and... well, sounds all pretty ugly.

    Anyway, since DL hasn't stated what "great features" of IE7 (and
    Firefox) he was referring to, it's a pointless discussion. Perhaps he
    should just browse through the FF extensions repository.

    Gregor
    Gregor Kofler, Oct 22, 2008
    #12
  13. DL

    Guest

    The sponsored link opposite DL's post said "Try Google Chrome." Opera
    also comes to mind.

    Using the non-standard bits of anyone's browser is very bad practice.
    , Oct 22, 2008
    #13
  14. DL

    DL Guest

    On Oct 22, 12:29 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
    > >> Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > >>> Jorge meinte:
    > >>>> Another possibility is to have the pages talk to each other through
    > >>>> the server, isn't it ?
    > >>> Yes, but the OP wants to fire up FF from IE and vice-versa. *That's*
    > >>> gonna be the (IMO unsolvable) problem.
    > >> It is possible to run Firefox (or any other application) from IE, using the
    > >> Windows Script Host.

    >
    > > Agreed (since you can start whatever application you wan't to start with
    > >   WS Host). But then it's just firing up FF - establishing interaction
    > > between the FF JS and the IE JS gonna be tough part.

    >
    > Correct.  That is the part of the discussion that "DL" unfortunately does
    > not seem to get.


    Are you saying because IE and FF uses different DOMs hence
    communcation between them is a real challenge? (for the part I didn't
    get). On XHR approach, if not reliable I'll have to skip it.

    > > One could try to implement this communication with XHR, [...]

    >
    > I don't think so.  How do you suggest to distribute an XHR object between
    > two incompatible DOMs?
    >
    > PointedEars
    > --
    > Use any version of Microsoft Frontpage to create your site.
    > (This won't prevent people from viewing your source, but no one
    > will want to steal it.)
    >   -- from <http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm>
    DL, Oct 23, 2008
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Travis Newbury

    FF3 anyone?

    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    65
    Views:
    1,915
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Jun 23, 2008
  2. dorayme

    Re: FF3 - Better or Not?

    dorayme, Jun 22, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    306
    dorayme
    Jun 22, 2008
  3. Eris of Stronghold [STRM]

    Absolute Image Positioning in FF3.5 vs IE8

    Eris of Stronghold [STRM], Oct 1, 2009, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    946
  4. Jorge

    FF3.6b and the accelerometer

    Jorge, Nov 27, 2009, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    78
    Jorge
    Dec 1, 2009
  5. DL
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    120
Loading...

Share This Page