typed datasets - dataset

John

In 05, with how the new datasets works, is a datalayer still needed or can i
have my business layer just call the dataset directly and return the data
back to the GUI or do you still need to create a business layer and a
datalayer for all your stored procedures and connection string to the db/

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

How deep you wish to layer is your own business. Personally, I would not use
the automagic objects in a real world application, unless it was small. They
are great for prototyping, however. You have to examine the needs of your
app, along with its lifetime and the possibility of it growing.

I would have a business layer and a data access layer. I would also consider
a facade for the GUI, so you can switch out whether it is smart client or
web site. If you know it will never be the other, you might forgo this.

--
Gregory A. Beamer

Think Outside the Box!

Karl Seguin [MVP]

That's a complex architectural question. Some, like me, hate datasets (typed
or not) and far prefer a rich domain layer. Others prefer a table-driven
architecture. Then there are thousands of other alternatives....No one can
answer what's best for you, your team or your project.

If you ask me, in 2.0 the best feature is by far Generics, which isn't at
all geared towards dataset usage. That might just be because I'm an
anti-datasetter. I'm not sure what new dataset features you are talkin about
though...

Karl

Guest

thanks, the datasets in 05 have the GetData() method in it and has the
parameters already defined if your using a proc, or view. The apps here are
about 90% view only type of web apps, just pulling the data from the database
or reporting type of windows app were the user is passing params to a proc to
run then the outout is generated, we have about maybe at most 10 input
forms/winForms.