UConn seeking qualified Java instructor

Andrew DePalma, Ph.D.

Hello,

I am trying to identify potential instructors for an online undergradute Java class at the University of Connecticut. See below or attached for details. Please respond directly to the provided email address. I apoligize for any crossposting.

Regards,
Andy DePalma
-----------------------------

Adjunct Faculty for Web Technology

The College of Continuing Studies at the University of Connecticut is seeking qualified and experienced adjunct faculty to teach web technology and related topics. This is an online undergraduate program.

Minimum Requirements: Ph.D. (ABD may be considered) in a technology related field and prior undergraduate or professional teaching experience. Masters degree and 7 years industry experience also considered.

We are specifically seeking applicants with experience in teaching Java (J2SE). Familiarity with Unix host systems also required.

Experience with the following areas/technologies helpful:

Database Architecture and/or Data Delivery Protocols/ XML
Web Design for Interactivity / Navigation
Graphic Design / Graphic Manipulation / Animation
Network Architecture / Caching / Proxy
Web Server Administration, Security, and Optimization

This is an online program. Distance from Connecticut and/or the Storrs campus is not relevant. Online teaching experience preferred, but not required.

Duties start as soon as possible.

Resume, portfolio (if applicable), names and phone numbers of 3 references, and any questions should be directed to Dr. Andrew DePalma ([email protected]), Information Technology, College of Continuing Studies, One Bishop Circle U-4056. Storrs, CT 06269-4056, (860) 486-3223.

Screening to start immediately.

In keeping with our commitment to build a culturally diverse community, the University of Connecticut invites applications from women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups.

Virgil Green

Andrew said:
[...]

See... this is the kind of thinking in academia that just cracks me up. The
MINIMUM requirements are that you have completed academic training. No
minimum requirement of real-world experience. (Should real-world experience
have been required for reaching Ph.D. status, I stand corrected.)
We are specifically seeking applicants with experience in teaching
Java (J2SE). Familiarity with Unix host systems also required.

Experience with the following areas/technologies helpful:

Database Architecture and/or Data Delivery Protocols/ XML
Web Design for Interactivity / Navigation
Graphic Design / Graphic Manipulation / Animation
Network Architecture / Caching / Proxy
Web Server Administration, Security, and Optimization

"Experience" is merely helpful... but not a requirement. Sigh.
This is an online program. Distance from Connecticut and/or the
Storrs campus is not relevant. Online teaching experience preferred,
but not required.

Duties start as soon as possible.

Resume, portfolio (if applicable), names and phone numbers of 3
references, and any questions should be directed to Dr. Andrew
DePalma ([email protected]), Information Technology, College
of Continuing Studies, One Bishop Circle U-4056. Storrs, CT
06269-4056, (860) 486-3223.

Screening to start immediately.

In keeping with our commitment to build a culturally diverse
community, the University of Connecticut invites applications from
women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups.

But non-academics need not apply...

Scott Ellsworth

Virgil Green said:
See... this is the kind of thinking in academia that just cracks me up. The
MINIMUM requirements are that you have completed academic training. No
minimum requirement of real-world experience. (Should real-world experience
have been required for reaching Ph.D. status, I stand corrected.)

Hey, at least they allow for a Masters as on options. Most academic
positions just require a PhD.

Scott

jan V

In keeping with our commitment to build a culturally diverse
But non-academics need not apply...

It's kinda logical (though not excusable).. these people are in the business
(*BUSINESS*) of handing out diplomas. In other words, they're not about
teaching/learning primarily, but about letting a subset of society become
part of a club who can wave pieces of paper in the air. And becoming a
member of that club costs money.

If the University of Connecticut was truly about learning first, then they
would be eager to find the BEST Java instructor out there, regardless of
that individual's academic history. Clearly they're not... its behaviour
typical of "we're a members-only club, sorry, and please take your foot off
our doormat."

If "Phd" Andrew knew anything about biology, he'd know that inbreeding is a
poor way to maximize gene pool potential.