    If you like it, please digg it:
    http://www.digg.com/programming/Ultimate_programmer_s_reference_QuickRef_org_launches

    , Sep 5, 2006

  2. unknown wrote:
    > QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby,

    That site has some issues.

    For example: Search for anything, like 'calendar'. Then click a link.
    Minimize that window. Try to hit return after calendar to bring the
    results back up. It doesn't. You have to type something else and
    remove it, then hit return again.

    Also, you talk about multiple windows being open... How? Every time I
    click a new link, it replaces the previous window.

    William Crawford, Sep 5, 2006

  3. James Britt Guest

    wrote:

    > If you like it, please digg it:

    Please, spare me Digg, and spare me having to click through another
    site to get to something.

    Apparently the site requires JavaScript just to be able to submit a
    form. How Web 2.0!

    I searched on Ruby Array, and got a nice (faux) dropdown list of Array
    methods. Each linked to a Ruby 1.6 reference site.

    I love the future.

    --
    James Britt

    "Hackers will be expelled"
    - The Breakfast Club (1985)

    James Britt, Sep 5, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby [...]

    Hi Robby,

    the documentation for Ruby 1.6 won't be very useful nowdays.

    Regards,
    Antonio
    --
    http://antoniocangiano.com
    Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming

    Antonio Cangiano, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Eric Hodel Guest

    On Sep 5, 2006, at 7:40 AM, wrote:

    > QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on
    > Ruby, CSS, HTML, HTML DOM, Java, JavaScript, MySQL, PHP, Perl, and
    > more languages added all the time. Minimize docs and they show up
    > next time you visit the site. Instantly access Google search for
    > documents not in the QuickRef system. Never open 15 tabs or windows
    > again!

    I get a better experience from the Ruby QuickRef[1] and ri. For
    example:

    $ ri -l | grep Assertion
    Test::Unit::AssertionFailedError
    Test::Unit::Assertions
    Test::Unit::Assertions::use_pp=
    Test::Unit::Assertions#_wrap_assertion
    Test::Unit::Assertions#add_assertion
    Test::Unit::Assertions#assert
    Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_block
    Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_equal
    Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_in_delta
    [...]

    quickref.org has nothing.

    [1] http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

    Eric Hodel, Sep 5, 2006

    Hi Antonio,

    My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert. Can you tell me where
    the most recent Ruby documentation can be found?

    Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see indexed?

    Thanks,
    Robby

  7. Eric Hodel Guest

    On Sep 5, 2006, at 2:10 PM, wrote:
    > Antonio Cangiano wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on
    >>> Ruby [...]

    >> Hi Robby,
    >>
    >> the documentation for Ruby 1.6 won't be very useful nowdays.

    > My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert. Can you tell me where
    > the most recent Ruby documentation can be found?

    Import ri, its all in handy yaml files. Or ruby-doc.org.

    > Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see
    > indexed?

    The top downloads list on rubyforge is a good place to start.

    Eric Hodel, Sep 5, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert.

    Hi Robby,

    no worries :)

    Ruby Core API (1.8.4): http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
    Ruby Standard Library (1.8.4): http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

    > Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see indexed?

    Remaining in Rubyland, I'd say Nitro, which is another Web framework
    (http://www.nitroproject.org/documentation), and RMagick
    (http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/index.html), but there are
    many nice projects out there.

    BTW, I saw that you included MySQL, would it be possible to point to
    the DB2 and PostgreSQL docs as well?

    Thanks,
    Antonio

    Antonio Cangiano, Sep 6, 2006
  9. William Crawford wrote:
    > unknown wrote:
    >> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby,

    > That site has some issues.
    >
    > For example: Search for anything, like 'calendar'. Then click a link.
    > Minimize that window. Try to hit return after calendar to bring the
    > results back up. It doesn't. You have to type something else and
    > remove it, then hit return again.
    >
    > Also, you talk about multiple windows being open... How? Every time I
    > click a new link, it replaces the previous window.

    Another issue.

    If you minimize several windows, bring window A up, then window B,
    window A just disappears. So you have to explicitly minimize windows in
    order not to lose them. Since I frequently flip between several pages,
    this layout does not work for me. It takes a lot longer than just using
    my firefox tabs.

    William Crawford, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Have a look at http://www.gotapi.com/. It supports the documentation of
    ruby-doc.org ans api.rails.org, further there is stuff about databases
    (postgresql, mysql) XML, XSLT and many other things.

    Best regards,
    Jan Friedrich

    Jan Friedrich, Sep 8, 2006
  11. Hey after a couple quick tests, I think this looks pretty neat.
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to store a user's preferred languages or at
    least ones not to display in a cookie perhaps. For instance, I never
    am going to look up php or perl ;)
    .adam

    Adam Sanderson, Sep 8, 2006