UML and OO design tool with Python support

Paul McGuire

I just found out that my favorite UML modeling tool, Enterprise Architect,
has just released a new version, *with* Python code support. You can
download EA at http://www.sparxsystems.com.au. It is not free, but I think
it is very reasonably priced for the features it provides (under $200 gives
you good UML graphical modeling, including sequence and class diagrams, with
code reverse engineering and round-tripping, vs. $000's for comparable
Rational environment).

Well, as it turns out, the Python support is still a bit buggy but I have
already gotten good mileage from this tool in other applications, most
notably reverse engineering C++ and C# code, so the Python additions are
icing on the cake. But it is certainly another reassuring note, to see the
inclusion of Python support into this commercial software development tool.

I've already started to forward bug reports for some of the Python import
errors. Perhaps if they get more feedback from other Python users, it will
help reinforce their opinion of Pythonistas as a valuable target market
segment.

-- Paul

Note: I am *not* an employee or in any way connected with the supplier of
this code, other than as a satistifed customer.

Note2: the Python support is not an obvious product feature. It requires
installation of a separate (free) add-in, downloaded from the Sparxsystems
web site. The add-in must be separately "add-in"ed to each project, too,
instead of just being a globally installed plug-in. My first couple of
attempts failed at completely reverse engineering my pyparsing module,
although I did get a nice first-pass class inheritance diagram for PIL. We
take what we can get...

Ville Vainio

Paul> I just found out that my favorite UML modeling tool,
Paul> Enterprise Architect, has just released a new version,
Paul> *with* Python code support. You can

Somewhat tangentially, but still on-topic for the subject line, the
other day I was delighted to see that Dia (installable for the Linux
Disto near you, and also available for Windows) has Python embedded
into the program. Or at least you can choose "Python console" that
throws you into an interactive Python session where you can go dir() -
ing around to see all kinds of interesting diagram stuff.

Arjan Molenaar

mep said:
Any free UML modelling tools that generate python code?

I've been working on Gaphor (htp://gaphor.sourceforge.net) for the past
few years.

Gaphor is an UML modeling tool written in Python. It is completely UML
2.0 compliant (in fact the data model is UML 2.0).

Gaphor has currently support for Class, Component, Action and UseCase
diagrams. I'm currently working on Sequence and deployment diagrams.

It runs on Windows, Unix and MacOS (10+).

Regards,

Arjan