Unable to find libraries after installing with RPM and then with source code

Discussion in 'Python' started by John, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I'm using RedHat Fedora and installed Python 2.2 using an RPM. I then built
    and installed Python 2.3 using "./configure", "make" and "make install". A
    lot of programs won't run now and give me the following error message:

    Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec-prefix>
    Consider settint $PYTHONHOME to <prefix[:<exec_prefix>]
    ImportError: No module named getopt (or some other module name)

    The reason for this is that it is trying to import from /usr/lib/python2.2
    but these modules are now in /usr/local/lib/python2.3. Is there any way of
    getting these programs to look in the right place for these modules? Did I
    install the latest version incorrectly? Do I perhaps need to uninstall all
    the packages that use python2.2 and reinstall them?

    Thanks for any help

    John, Apr 14, 2004