    Marvel Guest

    I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
    beta 2 it will not ftp.

    Marvel, May 8, 2006

  2. Marvel

    ironcorona Guest

    Marvel wrote:
    > I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
    > beta 2 it will not ftp.

    I haven't had this problem. I use FireFTP on firefox. Is it possible
    there's another problem?

    --
    ironcorona

    ironcorona, May 8, 2006

  3. Marvel wrote:

    > I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
    > beta 2 it will not ftp.

    What FTP client do you use?

    --
    stretch after a workout

    Disco Octopus, May 8, 2006
  4. Marvel wrote:

    > I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
    > beta 2 it will not ftp.

    It's a known problem that IE 7 beta preview has problems in FTP, and
    they have been discussed on fora devoted to such issues.

    You hopefully realize that "beta" means something that is essentially an
    internal test version released for _testing_ by outside volunteers. You
    can use it as a your normal browser if you like, but you shouldn't
    expect normal behavior. And "preview" means that it isn't even a real
    beta yet. So if there is anything that you _need_ to have done, use
    another browser.

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 8, 2006
  5. Marvel

    JDS Guest

    JDS, May 8, 2006
  6. Marvel

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Marvel wrote:
    > I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
    > beta 2 it will not ftp.

    You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
    CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
    connect to the server on my host. I use the SBC/Yahoo DSL service which
    has a browser by the same name which is just a modified IE browser. I
    have several browsers. If you do not have any browsers turned on, if
    you use a program that requires connection to the web through a
    browser, it usually will prompt you to sign in to the default SBC/Yahoo
    browser. For example this often happens when you click on a home page
    link from some program screen. However CuteFTP 7 Professional does not
    prompt you to open a browser when you use it. You can even block in and
    out for all of the browsers using a firewall, and CuteFTP still works.
    Of course if you block CuteFTP, it will not work. Apparently CuteFTP
    does not need a browser as it apparently is self contained. I would be
    very surprised if any browser I could put on my computer would have any
    influence on my FTP agent. However, there might be more room for
    problems if the OS is modified such as with the sp2 upgrade on XP. If
    adding the IE7 browser also makes some changes in the OS of a computer,
    then all bets are off and the IE7 should be considered as a combination
    of browser and OS upgrade rather than just a browser. It woud be very
    interesting to hear a report from someone who has the CuteFTP 7
    Professional and has just taken the IE7 beta upgrade.

    cwdjrxyz, May 9, 2006
  7. Marvel

    Marvel Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > Marvel wrote:
    >> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet
    >> Explorer
    >> beta 2 it will not ftp.

    > You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
    > CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
    > connect to the server on my host. I use the SBC/Yahoo DSL service which
    > has a browser by the same name which is just a modified IE browser. I
    > have several browsers. If you do not have any browsers turned on, if
    > you use a program that requires connection to the web through a
    > browser, it usually will prompt you to sign in to the default SBC/Yahoo
    > browser. For example this often happens when you click on a home page
    > link from some program screen. However CuteFTP 7 Professional does not
    > prompt you to open a browser when you use it. You can even block in and
    > out for all of the browsers using a firewall, and CuteFTP still works.
    > Of course if you block CuteFTP, it will not work. Apparently CuteFTP
    > does not need a browser as it apparently is self contained. I would be
    > very surprised if any browser I could put on my computer would have any
    > influence on my FTP agent. However, there might be more room for
    > problems if the OS is modified such as with the sp2 upgrade on XP. If
    > adding the IE7 browser also makes some changes in the OS of a computer,
    > then all bets are off and the IE7 should be considered as a combination
    > of browser and OS upgrade rather than just a browser. It woud be very
    > interesting to hear a report from someone who has the CuteFTP 7
    > Professional and has just taken the IE7 beta upgrade.

    Uh Hello BETA what kind of idiot am I...The reason for using beta is to
    test., when something that has always worked quits working that would be a
    bad thing not, a what kind of a dumb ass are you for being surprised thing.
    I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
    files with my modified files.

    Marvel, May 10, 2006
  8. Marvel

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Marvel wrote:
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Marvel wrote:
    > >> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet
    > >> Explorer
    > >> beta 2 it will not ftp.

    > > You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
    > > CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
    > > connect to the server on my host.

    > I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
    > files with my modified files.

    Since you are using IE for the ftp, this does indicate that the problem
    most likely is in the new IE7 beta. I am relieved that you were not
    using a ftp client that does not require connection through a browser,
    as a problem in that case likely would be more complicated to correct.
    Since ftp support likely is important to Microsoft in their new IE7,
    they likely will find a way to correct the problem by the time the
    stable version of IE7 rolls out. As others indicated, Microsoft likely
    is aware of the problem since it has been discussed in some Microsoft
    groups.

    cwdjrxyz, May 10, 2006
  9. Marvel

    Marvel Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > Marvel wrote:
    >> "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    >> > You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
    >> > CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
    >> > connect to the server on my host.

    >> I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
    >> files with my modified files.

    > Since you are using IE for the ftp, this does indicate that the problem
    > most likely is in the new IE7 beta. I am relieved that you were not
    > using a ftp client that does not require connection through a browser,
    > as a problem in that case likely would be more complicated to correct.
    > Since ftp support likely is important to Microsoft in their new IE7,
    > they likely will find a way to correct the problem by the time the
    > stable version of IE7 rolls out. As others indicated, Microsoft likely
    > is aware of the problem since it has been discussed in some Microsoft
    > groups.

    Problem resolved...I contacted the MS IE7 BetaII support and they couldn't
    figure it out either turns out they are riddled with problems, (like e-mail
    fails, multiple tabs splitting off rogue, unable to allow cookies, add ons
    that won't add on)... so I scrapped it and went back to IE6 the final IE7
    should be in August 06

    Marvel, May 15, 2006
  10. Marvel

    bmakari

    Joined:
    May 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Work-Around for IE7 FTP

    FTP Authentication--The user is not prompted for credentials when visiting an authenticated FTP site in Internet Explorer 7. This is a known issue, and the workaround is to enter the credentials directly into the FTP URL; for example, ftp://username:

    From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx . There are many other known issues on this site. This is a rick you take when downloading Beta software.

    bmakari, May 19, 2006
  11. Marvel

    College-Gameday

    Joined:
    May 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Real solution to IE7 FTP without using username:password in url

    The Long awaited answer to this post: instead of trying to use the lame ftp://username:...

    Simply open up "My Computer" or any folder. Then in the address bar of the folder type in ftp://example.com (where it says "C:\Program Files" or "My Computer" for example)- and woo hoo, normal ftp just like IE6. And yes - I am running IE7 beta 2 when I do this. Go try it out.

    Cheers :beer:
    www.College-Gameday.com

    College-Gameday, May 23, 2006