Unable to import binding

robert.p.king

I'm having a problem which is driving me mad.

I have a simple remote object which I am hosting in a windows forms
app. The code for the class is (modified from Coding4Fun Issue 6):

Imports Microsoft.MediaPlayer.Interop
Imports PlayerHost.MediaPlayer
Imports System.Drawing.Imaging
Imports System.Data

Public Class Information
Inherits MarshalByRefObject

Public Function GetEverything() As DataTable

Dim pl As IWMPPlaylist
pl = Player.mediaCollection.getAll()
Dim Library As New DataTable("Library")

Library.Columns.Add("Artist")

If pl.count > 0 Then

For y As Integer = 0 To pl.count - 1
Dim newrow As DataRow = Library.NewRow()
Dim track As IWMPMedia = pl.Item(y)
newrow("Artist") = track.getItemInfo("Artist")
Library.Rows.Add(newrow)
Next

End If

Return Library

End Function

<..... other methods an stuff removed for brevity .....>

End Class

My windows forms app exposes this class in its OnLoad event like so:

RegisterWellKnownServiceType(GetType(Information), "Information.soap",
WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall)
Dim channel As New Channels.Http.HttpChannel(9000)
Channels.ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel, False)

If I then run the app and connect to the url
http://localhost:9000/Information.soap?WSDL I get the schema as
expected. I then add a web reference to the schema in VS2005. This
seems to work fine and I get no errors.

The namespace definitions look like this:

<definitions name="Information"
targetNamespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:tns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:suds="http://www.w3.org/2000/wsdl/suds"
xmlns:ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns/System"
xmlns:ns0="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/">

However, when I actually try to call the service from a Asp.Net 2.0
page, I get an error:

Unable to import binding 'InformationBinding' from namespace
'http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

So i tried the wsdl.exe tool and got some more information:

Error: Unable to import binding 'InformationBinding' from namespace
'http://sche
mas.microsoft.com/clr/nsassem/PlayerHost/PlayerHost%2C%20Version%3D1.0.0.0%2C%20
Culture%3Dneutral%2C%20PublicKeyToken%3Dnull'.
- Unable to import operation 'GetEverything'.
- The datatype
'http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/nsassem/System.Data/System.Da
ta%2C%20Version%3D2.0.0.0%2C%20Culture%3Dneutral%2C%20PublicKeyToken%3Db77a5c561
934e089:DataTable' is missing.

I've tried changing the GetEverything method to return a DataSet, XML
string, MemoryStream but it seems that for any return type outside of
the System namespace I get an error.
I did notice that in the schema definitions above, the System namespace
is defined simply as
xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns/System" but the
System.Data is defined as
xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I'm not a remoting guru by
any means.

GCR

I think that your problem comes because the DataTable resides in a namespace
with a schema definition not included in current type definitions. You
probably have somewhere another xsd file (or should have), with the
namespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089", where the DataTable definition.
Get this file, add an Import element into your wsdl file, pointig to this
file and mention it as input parameter when calling xsd.exe.

robert.p.king

Errr, you lost me at XSD files.

All I've done is used Visual Studio 2005 to connect to a web reference
where the hosted remote object is and it did the rest. Is VS2005
missing an import step or something?

robert.p.king

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <definitions name="Information"
targetNamespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:tns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:suds="http://www.w3.org/2000/wsdl/suds"
xmlns:ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:ns0="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns/System"
xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/">
<message name="Information.GetEverythingInput" />
- <message name="Information.GetEverythingOutput">
<part name="return" type="ns3:DataTable" />
</message>
- <portType name="InformationPortType">
- <operation name="GetEverything">
<input name="GetEverythingRequest"
message="tns:Information.GetEverythingInput" />
<output name="GetEverythingResponse"
message="tns:Information.GetEverythingOutput" />
</operation>
</portType>
- <binding name="InformationBinding" type="tns:InformationPortType">
<soap:binding style="rpc"
transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http" />
<suds:class type="ns0:Information" rootType="MarshalByRefObject" />
- <operation name="GetEverything">
<soap:eek:peration
soapAction="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/nsassem/JukeboxHostCS.Information/JukeboxHostCS#GetEverything"
/>
<suds:method attributes="public" />
- <input name="GetEverythingRequest">
<soap:body use="encoded"
namespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/nsassem/JukeboxHostCS.Information/JukeboxHostCS"
/>
</input>
- <output name="GetEverythingResponse">
<soap:body use="encoded"
namespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/nsassem/JukeboxHostCS.Information/JukeboxHostCS"
/>
</output>
</operation>
</binding>
- <service name="InformationService">
- <port name="InformationPort" binding="tns:InformationBinding">
<soap:address location="http://localhost:9000/Information.soap" />
</port>
</service>
</definitions>

GCR

As I allready said, the definition of the DataTable Type is missing: you have
the namespace declaration as:

xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"

but in the "Information.GetEverythingOutput" message, the "return" part is
of "ns3:DataTable" type, however you cannot find any description of this type
in the wsdl file, neither an import of an external schema file, containing
this description!

<message name="Information.GetEverythingOutput">
<part name="return" type="ns3:DataTable" />
</message>

You need to generate a schema file for the DataTable type and import it in
your wsdl file, like:

<xsd:schema>
<xsd:import schemaLocation="DataTable.xsd"
namespace="http://schemas.microsoft.com/clr/ns...ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
</xsd:schema>

Good luck!

robert.p.king

GCR said:
[...]

Ok, I understand that, but I don't know what's involved in generating a
schema file for the DataTable type. Is there some info on the web that
might help?