Unable to start debugging on the web server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Greg Dunn, May 14, 2005.

  1. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    In attempting to run a very basic web application on a student machine in a
    classroom, the following error message appears:

    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
    server. Access is denied.

    The associated Help entry recommends checking several things. I have listed
    the results of doing so after each item. I will be grateful if someone can
    suggest additional items to check, since none of those listed has proven to
    be the source of the problem.

    a.. Are you running a version of Windows that allows the Visual Studio
    debugger to automatically attach to a Web application? If not, you need to
    launch the application without debugging and manually attach to it. (For
    more information, see Manually Attaching and ASP.NET Debugging: System
    Requirements.)

    a.. Does your Web application have a Web.config file?
    a.. Does the Web.config file enable debug mode) by setting the debug
    attribute to true? For more information, see Debug Mode in ASP.NET
    Applications.
    b.. Does the Web.config file contain any syntax errors? You can check for
    syntax errors by running the Web application without debugging. (From the
    Debug menu, choose Start Without Debugging.) If there are syntax errors in
    Web.config, detailed information will be displayed.

    You need to be a member of the Debugger Users group or an administrator if
    the ASP.NET worker process runs under your own user account.

    a.. You need to be a member of the Administrators group if the ASP.NET
    worker process runs under any other user account besides your own.

    a.. Did you create the project by specifying a specific IP address
    (100.20.300.400, for example)? Debugging a Web server requires NTLM
    authentication. By default, IP addresses are assumed to be part of the
    Internet, and NTLM authentication is not done over the Internet. To correct
    this problem:
    a.. When creating the project, specify the name of the machine on your
    intranet.
    -or-

    b.. Add the IP address (http://100.20.300.400) to the list of trusted
    sites on your computer. (From the Internet Explorer Tools menu, choose
    Internet Options, and then select the Security tab).

    a.. Does the machine running IIS server have Visual Studio .NET Remote
    Components installed?

    a.. Was IIS installed on the local machine (the machine running Visual
    Studio .NET) after Visual Studio .NET was installed? IIS should be installed
    before Visual Studio .NET. If it was installed afterwards, you may need to
    repair the .NET Framework.

    Greg Dunn, May 14, 2005

  2. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Correction: they're running Win2000 SP4.

    Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn, May 16, 2005