    sudo make install

    Any ideas how I can get back to the version that came with Leopard?
    Thanks, much...
    Daniel Waite, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Daniel Waite

    BearXu Guest

    I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or not?

    BearXu, Dec 26, 2007

  3. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    BearXu wrote:
    > I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or not?

    I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
    think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
    searches your home directory and up.

    If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free to
    chime in.
    Daniel Waite, Dec 26, 2007
  4. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Daniel Waite wrote:
    > I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard, and
    > now my all my Rails apps are hosed.
    >
    > I installed 1.9 with the following commands:
    >
    > curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
    > tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
    > cd ruby-1.9.0
    > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
    > --with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
    > make
    > sudo make install

    I fixed it.

    1. Hop into /usr/local/bin and delete everything there.
    2. Follow the steps on the Hive Logic guide for installing Ruby and Ruby
    gems.

    I had to reinstall Rails, too. I'm guessing it's a path issue between
    Leopard's native Ruby install and the stuff on Hive Logic.

    Hive Logic link:
    http://hivelogic.com/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel-mysql-osx/
    Daniel Waite, Dec 26, 2007
  5. On Dec 26, 2007 4:02 AM, Daniel Waite <> wrote:

    > I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
    > think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
    > searches your home directory and up.

    Time Machine makes an exact duplicate of your entire drive (minus any
    directories you exclude).

    In fact, restoring from Time Machine was *too* exact for me; I had
    formatted my drive as Case-Sensitive HFS+, which it turns out is not
    compatible with Photoshop. I tried reformatting my drive as
    Case-Insensitive HFS+ and then restoring from Time Machine, and the
    Time Machine restore reformatted it as Case-Sensitive again. :p
    Benjamin Reed, Dec 26, 2007
  6. Daniel Waite

    James Gray Guest

    On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:

    > BearXu wrote:
    >> I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or
    >> not?

    > I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I
    > don't
    > think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it
    > only
    > searches your home directory and up.
    >
    > If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free
    > chime in.

    Not true. It handles your entire hard drive.

    I would say you just found a great reason to splurge on the external
    drive and get it turned on.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Gray, Dec 26, 2007
  7. Daniel Waite

    James Gray Guest

    On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:18 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:

    > Daniel Waite wrote:
    >> I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard,
    >> and
    >> now my all my Rails apps are hosed.
    >>
    >> I installed 1.9 with the following commands:
    >>
    >> curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
    >> tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
    >> cd ruby-1.9.0
    >> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
    >> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
    >> make
    >> sudo make install

    > I fixed it.
    >
    > 1. Hop into /usr/local/bin and delete everything there.
    > 2. Follow the steps on the Hive Logic guide for installing Ruby and
    > Ruby
    > gems.
    >
    > I had to reinstall Rails, too. I'm guessing it's a path issue between
    > Leopard's native Ruby install and the stuff on Hive Logic.
    >
    > Hive Logic link:
    > http://hivelogic.com/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel-mysql-osx/

    Hive Logic has you install Ruby in /usr/local/bin while Apple's
    default Ruby lives in /usr/bin. All you need to do is adjust your
    path so /usr/bin will be found first again.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Gray, Dec 26, 2007
  8. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    James Gray wrote:
    > On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:
    >
    >> If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free
    >> chime in.

    > Not true. It handles your entire hard drive.
    >
    > I would say you just found a great reason to splurge on the external
    > drive and get it turned on.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    That's awesome! Sounds like I have found a reason. Time Machine:
    Subversion your life!

    And thanks for the tip about where Ruby lives on Leopard. I appreciate
    it.
    Daniel Waite, Dec 27, 2007
  9. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Benjamin Reed wrote:
    > On Dec 26, 2007 4:02 AM, Daniel Waite <> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
    >> think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
    >> searches your home directory and up.

    > Time Machine makes an exact duplicate of your entire drive (minus any
    > directories you exclude).
    >
    > In fact, restoring from Time Machine was *too* exact for me; I had
    > formatted my drive as Case-Sensitive HFS+, which it turns out is not
    > compatible with Photoshop. I tried reformatting my drive as
    > Case-Insensitive HFS+ and then restoring from Time Machine, and the
    > Time Machine restore reformatted it as Case-Sensitive again. :p

    Wow.

    Really, that's all I can say: wow. :) That's awesome. I'm definitely
    getting an external drive then.
    Daniel Waite, Dec 27, 2007
  10. Daniel Waite

    BearXu Guest

    I still think that TimeMachine can recover the Ruby Folder.I have no idea if
    the user/bin is a folder in the Finder.
    Anyway, I don't have a Mac and I hope that I can buy one in 2008.
    So if not, I wish Apple can add this to the MacOs then the coders will be
    happy!

    BearXu, Dec 27, 2007