Uninstalling Py 2.5.2 from Windows 7

W. eWatson

For many months I had sporadically used 2.5.2 under Win 7, then
something went awry. I tried an uninstall/install and it didn't get any
better. I thought I'd take another shot at it today. The uninstall went
OK, but c:\python25 remained with several py files and a folder, Lib. I
went ahead with the install and got a msg that asked if I wanted to
write over the python25 folder.

I figured maybe I should ask about this. It's probably OK. Yes, I know I
have an old version of Python, but I need it occasionally.

Comments?

Irmen de Jong

For many months I had sporadically used 2.5.2 under Win 7, then
something went awry. I tried an uninstall/install and it didn't get any
better. I thought I'd take another shot at it today. The uninstall went
OK, but c:\python25 remained with several py files and a folder, Lib. I
went ahead with the install and got a msg that asked if I wanted to
write over the python25 folder.

I figured maybe I should ask about this. It's probably OK. Yes, I know I
have an old version of Python, but I need it occasionally.

Comments?

Just go ahead and manually delete c:\python25 and everything in it.
But make sure that the leftover stuff in there is something you won't
need again, or that you can get back by re-installing the third party
library that it was part of.

Then re-install from the 2.5.2 msi. (Or perhaps 2.5.4).

Irmen

Terry Reedy

For many months I had sporadically used 2.5.2 under Win 7, then
something went awry. I tried an uninstall/install and it didn't get any
better. I thought I'd take another shot at it today. The uninstall went
OK, but c:\python25 remained with several py files and a folder, Lib. I
went ahead with the install and got a msg that asked if I wanted to
write over the python25 folder.

Uninstall (should) only uninstall files that it installed and
directories that are empty. The 'several py files' should be files that
you or some third-party software installed. I personally put everything
I write under /pythonxy in a subdirectory thereof that install and
uninstall pay no attention to. The Lib directory contains all the
python-coded stdlib modules. Unless you know there is something that you
wrote that you want, I would delete it before re-installing.

I suspect that current installers work a bit better than 2.5. I would
definitely use the latest 2.5.z that comes with an installer and not
2.5.2. They are all the same version of the language. The only
difference is bug fixes.

W. eWatson

Uninstall (should) only uninstall files that it installed and
directories that are empty. The 'several py files' should be files that
you or some third-party software installed. I personally put everything
I write under /pythonxy in a subdirectory thereof that install and
uninstall pay no attention to. The Lib directory contains all the
python-coded stdlib modules. Unless you know there is something that you
wrote that you want, I would delete it before re-installing.

I suspect that current installers work a bit better than 2.5. I would
definitely use the latest 2.5.z that comes with an installer and not
2.5.2. They are all the same version of the language. The only
difference is bug fixes.
Thanks to both of you. Deleting python25 folder. Nothing of personal use
in it.

W. eWatson

Well, let be a careful a little more. I have PIL, numpy, scipy,
pymatplotlib and pyephem installed, I think. There are Remove....exe
files in the python25 folder for them. There's also a Removepy2exe.exe.
Probably that was somehow used to get out py2.5.

W. eWatson

I just pushed aside the python25 folder by renaming it, and installed py
2.5.2. However, when I try to open the simplest of py programs with
IDLE, I get an error from Win7.

c:\Users\blah\...\junk.py is not a valid Win 32 app.

Here's one:
def abc(one):
print "abc: ", one, " is one"

def duh(two):
print "duh: ",abc(2)

abc(1)
duh(2)
duh("so what")
abc(36.333)

John Gordon

In said:
I just pushed aside the python25 folder by renaming it, and installed py
2.5.2. However, when I try to open the simplest of py programs with
IDLE, I get an error from Win7.
c:\Users\blah\...\junk.py is not a valid Win 32 app.

Are you double-clicking on the .py file?

What application is associated with .py files?

W. eWatson

Are you double-clicking on the .py file? Yes.

What application is associated with .py files?

Application? Simple ones, including the one i put here that you
removed to answer my question.

John Gordon

Application? Simple ones, including the one i put here that you
removed to answer my question.

Eh? I can't see anywhere that you mentioned your Windows settings as
to what application is associated with .py files.

(You mentioned running IDLE, but I don't see that it was given as the
default application for opening .py files.)

W. eWatson

Eh? I can't see anywhere that you mentioned your Windows settings as
to what application is associated with .py files.

(You mentioned running IDLE, but I don't see that it was given as the
default application for opening .py files.)
I would think the install would make the association of py to Python,
either IDLE or the interpreter. If I right-click on a py file, it asks
me for "Open with". If I select idle.pyw, it gives me the message I
posted earlier.

John Gordon

In said:
I would think the install would make the association of py to Python,
either IDLE or the interpreter.

I would hope so too, however you did mention that you moved the python
executable to a different directory and installed a newer version, so
verifying that the .py file association points to the correct application
might be worthwhile.

W. eWatson

I would hope so too, however you did mention that you moved the python
executable to a different directory and installed a newer version, so
verifying that the .py file association points to the correct application
might be worthwhile.
Note though I had uninstalled Python. The folder remained, so I renamed
it, then installed. I see no way that under that arrangement that py
would be associated with the renamed contents. The renamed folder has no
exe file for the interpreter. There is, of course, a new Python25 that
shows python.exe and pythonw.exe. python.exe will bring up a command
window.

Dennis Lee Bieber

I would think the install would make the association of py to Python,
either IDLE or the interpreter. If I right-click on a py file, it asks
me for "Open with". If I select idle.pyw, it gives me the message I
posted earlier.

IDLE itself is just a Python SCRIPT itself -- it needs python.exe
(or pythonw.exe to avoid a console window) to run. You need python to
run IDLE to access your own script (for editing). If clicking on your
own script doesn't run, then neither will IDLE.

If double-clicking on your own .py/.pyw file won't run, then nothing
invoking another .py/.pyw is likely to run either.

I do have to confess that after a registry corruption which killed
my original user account, not all my software is fully functional... I
just had to define pythonw.exe to be the application for .pyw files.