Unix BG and Perl/TK

Dodge

I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask or not, but here goes.
I've got a perl/TK script that I need to start in the background.
Since I'm running on Unix, I'd typically do this with:
myscript.pl &

In this application though, I have another program that is calling my
script. I don't have permission to modify this other program. Is there
a way that I can do the same thing in my script? I've checked the PERL
FAQs, but apparently don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks in
advance!

all mail refused

I've got a perl/TK script that I need to start in the background.
Since I'm running on Unix, I'd typically do this with:

In this application though, I have another program that is calling my
script. I don't have permission to modify this other program. Is there
a way that I can do the same thing in my script? I've checked the PERL

Sounds as if you want to get familiar with fork().

Ben Morrow

Quoth Dodge said:
I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask or not, but here goes.
I've got a perl/TK script that I need to start in the background.
Since I'm running on Unix, I'd typically do this with:

In this application though, I have another program that is calling my
script. I don't have permission to modify this other program. Is there
a way that I can do the same thing in my script? I've checked the PERL
FAQs, but apparently don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks in
advance!

You may want to look at Proc::Daemon.

Ben