Unofficial Poll - Popup ads

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

--Tina

kayodeok

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend
over a design concept, how many of you have popup blockers
installed? How many of you do not?

There is no need for pop-up blockers if you use
Firebird/Mozilla/Opera.

However, for the rare moment I use IE, I have the Google Toolbar
installed which prevents pop ups.

Tina said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you
do not?

--Tina

Popups can be turned off with so many browsers, without installing
a seperate blocker, that you may want to modify the wording of your
question?

Mark Parnell

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

I use Mozilla with all popup blocking options enabled.

No popups for me! :)

BTW: Ask Duende, I'm sure he'll do a proper poll for you. ;-)

DT

, Once upon a time in a land far away Tina - AffordableHOST.com was
alleged to have said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

--Tina
I use mozilla exclusively with it's built in popup blocker. My wife who
insist on IE uses a popup blocker. Apparently Win XP sp2 will update IE
to inclued built in popup blocking....so I would imagine the days of
popup ads are numbered.

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Mark Parnell said:
I use Mozilla with all popup blocking options enabled.

No popups for me! :)

BTW: Ask Duende, I'm sure he'll do a proper poll for you. ;-)

Yeah, but somehow I get the feeling he would somehow work the word
"mudwrestling" into the poll. :p"

--Tina

rf

Tina - AffordableHOST.com said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

All popups blocked in all browsers on all computers (popup-stopper).

If I really *must* see the content of a new page that an author insists on
throwing at me then I will lean on CTRL while clicking the link, muttering
all the while about the arrogance of certain authors who assume they know
better than I how I want to drive my browser.

An unsolicited popup advertisement I will never see.

Cheers
Richard.

Nick Theodorakis

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

I use Mozilla, set to reject popups.

I saw an advert on TV the other day for AOL, touting the
popup-blocking ability of the new version. You can tell your friend
that popup-blocking awareness has now reached the masses.

Nick

Craig

If it's a window that pops up when you click on a link (ie, doesn't load
automatically, and isn't an ad) then it should be okay. I use Mozilla
Firebird so I know this method would work for me, but unsolicited popups
will never see the light of day.

Whitecrest

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

I block them with Google bar on IE

Whitecrest

Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

Just a note, you may be asking the wrong people. This group is not a
mirror of the general public and how they browse.

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Whitecrest said:
Just a note, you may be asking the wrong people. This group is not a
mirror of the general public and how they browse.

Yeah, I posted this question in alt.www.webmaster as well. Someone brought
up the same point. I think though, as someone else mentioned, even AOL is
pushing a popup blocker on their customers...so, I'm pretty sure popups
(apart from being almost as annoying as spam and virus warning hoaxes) are
going to be completely useless, in the very near future.

--Tina

Blinky the Shark

Tina said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

Blocked.

Richard

Tina said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a
design concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many
of you do not?

I use IE 6 with the crazy browser plug in. No popups.
Why should I be forced to close out 10 or more windows just because some
jerk demands I see that shit?
I don't mind it so much if it's related to the same website.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
mud:
Yeah, but somehow I get the feeling he would somehow work the word
"mudwrestling" into the poll. :p"
Not me, but William would.

Whitecrest

Yeah, I posted this question in alt.www.webmaster as well. Someone brought
up the same point. I think though, as someone else mentioned, even AOL is
pushing a popup blocker on their customers...

Even so, people distinguish between popups from a site (additional
information, pictures, what ever) and an un requested popup ad.

Just throwing some more into the mix for you.

Toby A Inkster

Tina said:
Just wondering, because I'm having an argument with a friend over a design
concept, how many of you have popup blockers installed? How many of you do
not?

I have Opera set to open only "requested" pop-up windows. I have the same
on my computer at work and my girlfriend (not a particularly technical
user) also the same.