Unsupported feature error:access type is not supported

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by NEETU GARG, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. NEETU GARG

    NEETU GARG Guest

    hello;
    i m trying to run this vhdl code for reading .cmd file...while i m
    trying to compile the code on the altera's max plusII software(student
    software),it is showing error
    File d:\maxw\code\93vhdllib\std\textio.vhd:Unsupported feature
    error:access type is not supported
    in d drive, i m not installing that software, i have this software
    installed in c drive.....
    can somebody can help me in this matter....please reply soon.....
    -- -------------------------------------
    -- Reads std_logic values from a file
    -- -------------------------------------

    library ieee;
    use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
    use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;
    use std.textio.all;
    use work.txt_util.all;

    entity FILE_READ is
    generic (
    stim_file: string := "sim.cmd"
    );
    port(
    CLK : in std_logic;
    RST : in std_logic;
    Y : out std_logic_vector(4 downto 0);
    EOG : out std_logic
    );
    end FILE_READ;

    -- I/O Dictionary
    --
    -- Inputs:
    --

    architecture read_from_file of FILE_READ is

    file stimulus: TEXT open read_mode is stim_file;

    begin

    -- read data and control information from a file

    receive_data: process

    variable l: line;
    variable s: string(y'range);

    begin

    EOG <= '0';

    -- wait for Reset to complete
    wait until RST='1';
    wait until RST='0';

    while not endfile(stimulus) loop

    -- read digital data from input file
    readline(stimulus, l);
    read(l, s);
    -- Y <= to_std_logic_vector(s);

    wait until CLK = '1';

    end loop;

    -- print("I@FILE_READ: reached end of "& stim_file);
    EOG <= '1';

    wait;

    end process receive_data;

    end read_from_file;

    NEETU GARG, Apr 9, 2004

  2. The Altera Simulator doesn't support file IO. Its quite basic in that I
    don't believe you can give it a stimulus file either. All you can give it
    is a waveform, all you can get is a waveform.

    You might want to consider downloading the free Xilinx Simulator. It
    doesn't know about LPM's but if you stick to VHDL code you get all the
    features of a real VHDL simulator. And a simulation without timings on any
    FPGA is the same.

    Simon

    Simon Peacock, Apr 10, 2004