Updating GAC assemblies

Erik Cruz

Hi.

What is the correct way to update an assembly registered in the GAC? I have
two .dlls installed in the GAC. When I update these .dlls I unregister the
old ones and then register the new versions. Is that the way to go?

Regards,
Erik Cruz

Leon Mayne [MVP]

Erik said:
What is the correct way to update an assembly registered in the GAC?
I have two .dlls installed in the GAC. When I update these .dlls I
unregister the old ones and then register the new versions. Is that
the way to go?

It depends on your deployment strategy. The point of the GAC is that you can
have multiple versions of the same assembly installed on the same machine,
and your applications can be set to use whichever of them is best for their
purposes. If you only ever want one version (the latest) installed on a
machine then yes, it's best to uninstall the previous version first (as long
as your application isn't configured to only use that particular version).

Richard Grimes [MVP]

Erik said:
Hi.

What is the correct way to update an assembly registered in the GAC?
I have two .dlls installed in the GAC. When I update these .dlls I
unregister the old ones and then register the new versions. Is that
the way to go?

Nope. They are different versions so you should keep the old ones in
case some other application uses them.

http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/workshops/fusionWS.htm

Richard