Upgrading Microsoft Report Viewer from 2008 to 2010

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James Simpson, Apr 19, 2010.

  1. Hey everyone,
    We've been developing a web application in Visual Studio 2008 for a while
    now and have noticed that Microsoft has recently announced Visual Studio 2010
    being officially released. I have spent the past two days on a virtual
    machine trying to get this web application to fully upgrade to Visual Studio
    2010.

    After making some minor changes to the project, the application compiles
    fine. However, in preliminary testing the application a couple of runtime
    errors have been generated. They mainly have to do with the Microsoft Report
    Viewer Control that is being used throughout the app to generate reports for
    our clients. In particular I have been given the following run-time error by
    ASP.NET:

    The base class includes the field 'ReportViewer2', but its type
    (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer) is not compatible with the type
    of control (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer).

    Now I have spent some time updating the references made in the solution to
    the report viewer to reflect the newer assemblies that are included in Visual
    Studio 2010 (namely going from version 9 to version 10 of the control), as
    well as updating the Web.config file to reflect the upgrade. I did this
    because initially I encountered run-time errors when ASP.NET tried to load
    the older (and non-existant) Microsoft Report Viewer components.

    Can someone point me to an article which discusses how to upgrade an ASP.NET
    developed in Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010, as well as how to
    handle the report viewer and other components upgrades? I spent some time
    googling around but really couldn't find such an article (especially one
    covering the upgrade process for the report viewer).

    Regards,

    James Simpson
    Bespoke Inventory Solutions Inc.

    James Simpson, Apr 19, 2010