Urgent!! Big Problem opening solution file in visual studio

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paras Sharma, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Paras Sharma

    Paras Sharma Guest

    Hi all,

    We are facing this big problem.
    Scenario is as follows.

    We have one single solution (say EIS) under which there are 25 projects. All
    the files are saved at a central location under Visual Sorce Safe on a
    seprate machine. For a new person who is trying to setup this solution file
    on his / her local machine follows the following step.
    1. "Set working folder" for the EIS folder from VSS on to his local machine
    (by defualt D:\EIS)
    2. Do a "get latest version" of all the files from VSS on to his local
    machine.
    3. After all the files are copied on to local machine, EIS.solution file is
    opened in to Visual Studio environment by double clicking it.
    4. For first time it ask for the server mapping for the projects under the
    solution file. On click of OK it creates virtual directory for EIS under IIS
    and further directories for projects under EIS (under IIS).

    Now problem is after it has added all the folders under IIS, visual studio
    hangs indefinately... and we are forced to do end task of the same.

    Again opeing EIS solution file, tries to create further directories under
    IIS and does not refer to the already created directories.

    We are not even able to locate the source the problem.

    Someone kindly help on this.

    Thanks & Regards
    Paras Sharma
    Paras Sharma, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Paras Sharma

    Alan Pretre Guest

    "Paras Sharma" <> wrote in message
    > We are facing this big problem.

    You could try disregarding the solution file. In VS, open one of the
    *project* files instead of the solution file. VS will create a new solution
    for you. Then, manually add the remaining projects to the new solution
    (Add/Existing Project...), and save the new solution. This has worked for
    me in the past.

    -- Alan
    Alan Pretre, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Can you try creating Virtual Directories first and then open a solution in VS.
    --
    Harish Shikhare

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFyaXNoIFNoaWtoYXJl?=, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Paras Sharma

    Fr15ky Guest

    Paras,

    We had the same issue with a project that included an ASP project that
    created a virtual directory. You may want to review the issue we had
    and see how we resolved it:

    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=133905&SiteID=1

    Please let me know if you need further help with this and I will try to
    review it a little further. There is a link on that page for
    instructions for checking out what exactly is causing the problem too.

    Mark Dahl
    Fr15ky, Feb 2, 2006