URL Provider in WebSphere 4

Gerard Oberle

Our URLStreamHandler, which worked with WebSphere 3.5, no longer works
with 4.0.

We wrote our own sub-class of java.net.URLStreamHandler for a
proprietary URL that does various things, the end result of which is
to return a JPEG fabricated out of other "stuff." We also defined a
subclass of URLConnection to go with it, of course, although it is an
anonymous inner class defined directly in the openConnection method.

Under WebSphere 3.5, we defined the system property
java.protocol.handler.pkgs to be com.jpm.espplus.something, and named
our class com.jpm.ebpp.something.foobar.Handler. This allowed us to
define a URL as

URL xurl = new URL ("foobar:///blah/12345/321/xyz.jpg");

and then get its contents.

Under WebSphere 4, this generates a MalformedURLException, with the
message "unknown protocol: foobar" (Okay, the real names aren't
"ebpp.something.foobar" because I'm trying not to give away everything
on a public newsgroup.) However, the little command line unit test
program works correctly, indicating that on the 1.3.x JDK, this
behavior still works.

I have found something called a URL provider in the WebSphere 4 admin
console, and I defined our protocol with the fully qualified name of
our handler class and the jar file containing it, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers!
- Jerry Oberle
perl -e 'printf "%silto%c%sberle%cearthlink%cnet%c", "ma", 58, "go",
64, 46, 10;'

Phil

[email protected] (Gerard Oberle) wrote in message news: said:
I have found something called a URL provider in the WebSphere 4 admin
console, and I defined our protocol with the fully qualified name of
our handler class and the jar file containing it, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

I am having the same problem in WebSphere 5 (with a different
protocol)

I have configured the URL Provider as instructed here :
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...m.websphere.nd.doc/info/ae/ae/ujtc_ruurp.html

and the exception goes away, but it seems that although no exceptions
or otherwise are thrown no attempt is made to connect using the
protocol to the other resource.

I am not having problems with firewalls and I can run the code on
other application servers using the same computer - it is just
websphere (which I am constrained to use).