Usage of Hex Dump in C++ Programming

Matt

I want to know what is Hex Dump? I tried to search in google but
didn't get useful results. I know it is the hexademical representation
of something. But I don't know what is something? From C++
programmer's perspective, I always hear this term. But when do we need
to use hex dump? what's the importances of hex dump?

please advise. thanks!!

Kristofer Pettijohn

Matt said:
I want to know what is Hex Dump? I tried to search in google but
didn't get useful results. I know it is the hexademical representation
of something. But I don't know what is something? From C++
programmer's perspective, I always hear this term. But when do we need
to use hex dump? what's the importances of hex dump?

Someone answered your question in the comp.lang.c group.. check that
one out!

John Harrison

I want to know what is Hex Dump? I tried to search in google but
didn't get useful results. I know it is the hexademical representation
of something. But I don't know what is something? From C++
programmer's perspective, I always hear this term. But when do we need
to use hex dump? what's the importances of hex dump?

I suppose its a (fairly) convienent way of examining the contents of a
binary file. It's got nothing to do with C++ at all, and you must be
moving in unusual circles if you always hear the term in connection with
C++.

john

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Matt said:
I want to know what is Hex Dump? I tried to search in google but
didn't get useful results. I know it is the hexademical representation
of something. But I don't know what is something?

Everything!
And that is because everything in a computer is just a number. Be it
programs, be it text, be it pictures, be it ...
When you look at the things at the machine level then everything is
just a number. And this number can be represented in hex. Why hex?
Well. Because most computers have a byte size of 8 bits. Which converts
easily and nicely into hex. Each nibble (4 bits) is a single hex digit.

Socket

I want to know what is Hex Dump? I tried to search in google but
didn't get useful results. I know it is the hexademical representation
of something. But I don't know what is something? From C++
programmer's perspective, I always hear this term. But when do we need
to use hex dump? what's the importances of hex dump?

please advise. thanks!!

47 45 54 20 2F 20 48 54 54 50 2F 31 2E 31 0D 0A GET / HTTP/1.1..
41 63 63 65 70 74 3A 20 2A 2F 2A 0D 0A 55 73 65 Accept: */*..Use
72 2D 41 67 65 6E 74 3A 20 4D 6F 7A 69 6C 6C 61 r-Agent: Mozilla
2F 34 2E 30 20 28 63 6F 6D 70 61 74 69 62 6C 65 /4.0 (compatible
3B 20 4D 53 49 45 20 35 2E 30 3B 20 57 69 6E 33 ; MSIE 5.0; Win3
32 29 0D 0A 48 6F 73 74 3A 20 70 72 6F 78 79 3A 2)..Host: proxy:
38 30 38 30 0D 0A 0D 0A 8080....

this is hex dump example of HTTP GET operation sent by
IExplorer to HTTP servers.
The dump was generated by SMIKE itility - Small Internet Kick-about
Explorer making log of all HTTP and file I/O operations
http://smike.ru