use a file as a database, access rights

Torsten Mohr

Hi,

i'd like to write a script that makes use of a database.

It would be great if the database would store all its data
in a file, that would be great for data exchange.

It would also be great if i could use SQL, as i have some
experience in that.

Also, i NEED access rights to certain parts of the database.
Several people should work on it and NEED to have different
access rights.

Can anybody give me some recommendations on what to use?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

Steve Holden

Torsten said:
Hi,

i'd like to write a script that makes use of a database.

It would be great if the database would store all its data
in a file, that would be great for data exchange.

It would also be great if i could use SQL, as i have some
experience in that.

Also, i NEED access rights to certain parts of the database.
Several people should work on it and NEED to have different
access rights.

Can anybody give me some recommendations on what to use?
Sounds to me like you need to add a rights layer to gadfly.

regards
Steve

Kartic

Torsten,

Please explain the environment you are planning to use - Operating
System, whether you have full control of the machine that runs the
database, how many users?.

If you are using Windows and if your needs are simple, you can use
Access as it has some simple access control that can be setup.

Also, the part about "database would store all its data in a file" is
not very clear. Are you wanting to use a flat-file database and also
have security implemented in it? If you are on linux/*BSD machine,
consider using a real database.

Fine access control can be implemented in your application (e.g. only
the creator of a record and his/her superiors can edit it, all others
view it)

Please send more details to receive useful recommendations.
Thanks,
--Kartic

Kartic

Steve Holden wrote:

Sounds to me like you need to add a rights layer to gadfly.

Aha...I did not consider that possibility. I have not gone indepth into
Gadfly...is that a straigtforward thing to implement?

Torsten Mohr

Hi,

sorry for being unclear and thanks for your answers.

Yes, i'd like to use a flat-file database AND access rights.
One way i thought of would be to handle the access rights
in the script that i write. But to let some other module
handle it would also be great. If for example i could embed
some SQL database and tell it to store all its tables in
ONE FILE it would be quite easy to do.

I want to write that application cross-platform, at least
Win32 AND Linux.

Best regards,
Torsten.

Steve Holden

Kartic said:
Steve Holden wrote:

Aha...I did not consider that possibility. I have not gone indepth into
Gadfly...is that a straigtforward thing to implement?

Gadfly has been a very straightforwad installation for me. Of course the
complexity of the access control will depend on the complexity of your
application's requirements.

regards
Steve