Useful function perhaps...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toby Inkster, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Edwin van der Vaart, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/inc_dt.phps

    > What does't do.?

    Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

    To answer both though: it doesn't slice, and it doesn't dice. It does
    however, once pointed at a table of data stored in an SQL database,
    generate a nice HTML table of data, plus a form that allows you to search
    and sort that data.

    I have now put up a demonstration of "inc_dt" in action:
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.php
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.phps

    (In case you're interested, the data table it is searching is the data
    used to build the <link> elements, navigation bar and site map on my site.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 3, 2005
  4. __/ [Edwin van der Vaart] on Saturday 03 September 2005 11:26 \__

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/inc_dt.phps

    > What does't do.?

    What was it implemented /for/?

    <snip>

    display_table - Displays a searchable, sortable table.

    </snip>

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > What was it implemented /for/?

    I often have the need to present large (1000+ rows) tables of data.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 3, 2005
  6. Re: Display of Large Tables using PHP

    __/ [Toby Inkster] on Saturday 03 September 2005 17:13 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> What was it implemented /for/?

    > I often have the need to present large (1000+ rows) tables of data.

    Is it by any chance related to your latest project (http://message-id.net
    for those who have just joined us)?

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | /earth: file system full
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 3, 2005
  7. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/inc_dt.phps

    >>What does't do.?

    > Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

    The question was "what does it do".
    I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
    does't do?". The same as "It's do...".

    > To answer both though: it doesn't slice, and it doesn't dice. It does
    > however, once pointed at a table of data stored in an SQL database,
    > generate a nice HTML table of data, plus a form that allows you to search
    > and sort that data.
    >
    > I have now put up a demonstration of "inc_dt" in action:
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.php
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/demonstration_of_inc_dt.phps

    Thanks for the info.

    > (In case you're interested, the data table it is searching is the data
    > used to build the <link> elements, navigation bar and site map on my site.)

    Thanks but no thank you.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website
    Edwin van der Vaart, Sep 3, 2005
  8. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Is it by any chance related to your latest project (http://message-id.net
    > for those who have just joined us)?

    Nope -- I always have several things on the go at once. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Toby Inkster

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > > Toby Inkster wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/inc_dt.phps

    > > What does't do.?

    > Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

    Edwin's Dutch so he talks like he has a cigar in his mouth.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 4, 2005
  10. Toby Inkster

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: Display of Large Tables using PHP

    With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > Is it by any chance related to your latest project (http://message-id.net
    > > for those who have just joined us)?

    > Nope -- I always have several things on the go at once. :)

    'Know what ya mean. Nothing beats a threesome at the local "Go-Go A-
    Go" exotic dance club.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 4, 2005
  11. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
    >>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >>>What does't do.?

    >>Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

    > Edwin's Dutch so he talks like he has a cigar in his mouth.

    You want one too
    Edwin van der Vaart, Sep 4, 2005
  12. Re: Display of Large Tables using PHP

    __/ [Toby Inkster] on Saturday 03 September 2005 22:30 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Is it by any chance related to your latest project (http://message-id.net
    >> for those who have just joined us)?

    > Nope -- I always have several things on the go at once. :)

    It is a valuable approach to work that can easily be endured. Whenever one
    piece of work becomes a bore or reaches a jam, you can divert your
    attention elsewhere while still making valuable progress.

    Having said that, the ideal situation involves the investment of /all/
    resources to complete one task at the time (caching comes to mind, equiv.
    to short-term memory). While computers can do it, the human psychology
    cannot. So, multi-tasking is probably the best path to productive living
    that's also enjoyable.

    Best of luck!

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 4, 2005
  13. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
    > does't do?".

    Nope. You cannot just contract any word that takes your fancy. Almost all
    English contractions take the form of:

    1. a negation (something with "n't" added to the end); or

    2. a combination of a pronoun (I/you/he/she/it/we/they/etc)
    with an auxilary verb (have/shall/will/am/would/should/etc).

    Almost any other contraction in written English is incorrect.

    Notable exceptions:

    'til until
    'cause because

    And, rather poetic, but rarely used:

    'tis it is
    'twas it was
    'neath beneath
    e'en even
    e'er/ne'er ever/never

    In spoken English, there are a few more.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 4, 2005
  14. Toby Inkster

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

    > >>Not sure if you're asking "what does it do?" or "what doesn't it do?".

    > > Edwin's Dutch so he talks like he has a cigar in his mouth.

    > You want one too

    Nah, cigarettes are my forte. I prefer subtle suicide to the more
    robust flavor.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 4, 2005
  15. Toby Inkster

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <5n.co.uk> from Toby
    Inkster contained the following:

    >> I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
    >> does't do?".

    >Nope. You cannot just contract any word that takes your fancy.

    Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.
    (second person singular present tense of do)
    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    Geoff Berrow, Sep 4, 2005
  16. Toby Inkster

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Geoff Berrow quothed:

    > I noticed that Message-ID: <5n.co.uk> from Toby
    > Inkster contained the following:
    >
    > >> I thought I can shorten the sentence "What does it do?" into "What
    > >> does't do?".

    > >Nope. You cannot just contract any word that takes your fancy.

    > Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.
    > (second person singular present tense of do)

    Methinks thou doest speaketh as a maid neatly past her shade of the
    moon.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 4, 2005
  17. Toby Inkster

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <>
    from Geoff Berrow contained the following:

    >Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.

    Damn. That's 'its' of course.

    Geoff Berrow, Sep 4, 2005
  18. Geoff Berrow wrote:
    > I noticed that Message-ID: <>
    > from Geoff Berrow contained the following:
    >
    >>Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.

    > Damn. That's 'its' of course.

    Its... Hmmm... Let me think...
    Ah! Its is a large multi media compagne here in the Netherlands.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers to duplicate this post.
    Edwin van der Vaart, Sep 4, 2005
  19. Toby Inkster

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <BIGSe.690$le5.153@amstwist00> from Edwin van
    der Vaart contained the following:

    >>>Besides, 'doest' is already a word, though it's use is archaic.

    >> Damn. That's 'its' of course.

    >Its... Hmmm... Let me think...
    >Ah! Its is a large multi media compagne here in the Netherlands.

    Sorry, no. 'Its' doesn't have an apostrophe when used as a pronoun,
    only when used as a contraction of 'it is'.

    It's a large company.
    The company and its customers.

    Geoff Berrow, Sep 4, 2005
  20. On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Geoff Berrow wrote:

    > Sorry, no. 'Its' doesn't have an apostrophe when used as a pronoun,

    news:alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe (if you like that sort of group)

    It's logical: my, (thy), his, her, its, our, your, their. No apostrophes
    in any of them.

    The exception seems to be: one's
    Alan J. Flavell, Sep 4, 2005