User Profile Data

Scott M.

When profile data is stored in ASP .NET, where is the user data persisted?
For how long is it persisted: is it session persisted or permanent (like a
cookie)?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

As for the "User data" and "Profile data" you mentioned, would you provide
some more description on them? I assume that the "profile data" means the
ASP.NET 2.0 profile service's data. That data is stored per-user(depend on
membership) and can be persisted in database. I'm not sure what's the
"user data" you mentioned.

Please feel free to let me know if there is any other particular things in
your case.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Scott M.

Hi Steven,

I am indeed referring to "profile" data in ASP .NET. My use of the term
"user data" simply refers to the data stored in the profile.

Can you be more specific about exactly where this data is persisted and how?

How long does it persist? Is is session-based and expire like session
variables or is it permanent, like a cookie? You say it "depends on
membership". Does that mean I can only use this feature with users who are
in my ASP .NET membership & roles database and not with unknown and
unauthenticated visitors? You say it "can" be persisted in a database, are
there other means for persisting it?

Thanks,

-Scott

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your quick response Scott,

Ok. Here is a brief description on how to profile's data is persisted and
how it is associated with a certain visitor.

** The profile data is persisted in the storage based on the provider you
use. Assume that you use the Default SqlProfileProvider, then, the profile
data is persisted in the sql database.(like other membership/role
provider's data)

** Profile data only associate to a user(through a username string). This
user is determined by membership service. For example, if you use forms
authentication, each authenticated user(according to membership database)
can has his own data in profile db. Profile, in this case, profile do not
take care of cookie, it just check what's the current user. It's the forms
authentication and membership that validate and determine the current user.
and provide will provide user data depend on the current user's name.

** ASP.NET Profile also support anonymous profile, in this case, it will
generate a random userID for a certain anonymou user(unauthenticated
through forms authentication/membeship). And this id is stored through
cookie, as long as the next time it can get the ID from cookie(still in
unauthenticated mode), it can identify that anonymous user and retrieve the
correct user data from profile database.

#Profiles In ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/440.aspx

Please feel free to let me know if you have questions on any specific part
of the profile.

Subject: Re: User Profile Data