UserConcurrency

eolss

How can I count the number of online users on my site? I
have implemented my application as follows. Whenever a
user logs in, I increment the count field in my database
by 1 in Session_Begin and on Session_End I decrement it by
1.Though the code works fine in normal circumstances, I
noticed a few anamolies:
1. If the user refreshes his browser, the Session_Begin is
called again and the counter is incremented again. To
overcome this, I used cookies. The first time the user
logs in, I create the cookie. When the user refreshes his
browser, it checks if the cookie exists, if it doesnt it
treats it as a new request and updates the counter
accordingly.
2. The problem arises on log out. Whenever the user
refreshes his browser, Session_End is called that many
times, and my counter is decremented more than once. How
can I get Session_End to run only once for each instance
of the browser?
3. I'm using Forms Authentication and on Session_End I
want to call FormsAuthentication.SignOut since the user
can still access the pages after the session ends,causing
a new session to be started. But this function does not
work in Session_End.