    are considering this as an option, and I would like to know of the
    feasability of doing this and if anyone is already doing this, if they
    are happy with this solution.

    Tom Ewall, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Tom Ewall

    JScoobyCed Guest

    Tom Ewall wrote:

    > Is anyone using Microsoft's LDAP (that comes with Active Directory) to
    > handle application security/permissions in connection with java? We
    > are considering this as an option, and I would like to know of the
    > feasability of doing this and if anyone is already doing this, if they
    > are happy with this solution.

    We are using Active Directory for the authentication of users in a J2EE
    web application. The trick is to connect to the LDAP server using the DN
    and password of the user. If the connection fails, either the DN or the
    password is wrong. We store the real DN of a user in a mapping table,
    that maps a login name (for example: username="jimbo", user_dn="CN=jimbo
    jim, OU=Users, DC=com, DC=web, DC=www")
    The user will enter its password and username. As the DN is stored from
    a LDAP query, it is a valid one. So if the connection fails it is
    because the password is wrong (or a network connection to the LDAP is
    not possible, but it's a different issue).
    Look at the http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/ldap/ for more
    details.

    --
    JScoobyCed
    What about a JScooby snack Shaggy ? ... Shaggy ?!

    JScoobyCed, Aug 17, 2004