Using an HTML object to send Email

Vince

Hi everyone I was wondering if someone could help me with the problem
I am currently facing. I am the new administrator for my company's
intranet. The intranet is built using CCMI (that way authors can edit
their own individuals sections of our internet instead of waiting for
a web developer to get around to making changes or putting up new
pages). I have recently gotten a request to add an HTML text box and
submit button to a CCMI web page (CCMI allows authors to embed html
objects and functionality into their web pages). My superiors want a
user to be able to visit this particular web page, type in a comment
in the text box, click the submit button, and then have the text sent
via email to a particular web address. Is this possible just using
html? I understand if no one is familiar with CCMI, but if this was
going to be done solely using html, how would it be done?

Roedy Green

CCMI
I googled CCMI and got pages and pages of responses, none that looked
like the CCMI you are talking about. Does it have a home page?
Did you know it is a Cashmere Goat organisation, a church, a capital
management company, and the Computer Consultants of Milledgeville?

Vince

I googled CCMI and got pages and pages of responses, none that looked
like the CCMI you are talking about. Does it have a home page?
Did you know it is a Cashmere Goat organisation, a church, a capital
management company, and the Computer Consultants of Milledgeville?

Give me some time to find out the contact information. They are group
based over in Germany. For the most part I just need to know how I can
do this in html.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Vince said:
Give me some time to find out the contact information. They are group
based over in Germany.

Ask if they have canned server-side scripts available to you.
For the most part I just need to know how I can do this in html.

The answer is No. HTML doesn't *do* anything except display content.
You will need some kind of server-based script to generate an email.

Your HTML will be something similar to this, in its basic layout:

<form id="email" method="post" action="/scripts/sendmail.cgi">
<label>Comments:
<textarea name="comment" id='comment' rows="8" cols="55"></textarea>
</label>
<label>
<input type="submit" value=" Submit Form "
id="submit1" name="submit1">
</label>
</form>

...and upon clicking the button, or pressing Enter, the script will be
invoked to complete the job.

Paul Furman

Vince said:
I have recently gotten a request to add an HTML text box and
submit button to a CCMI web page (CCMI allows authors to embed html
objects and functionality into their web pages). My superiors want a
user to be able to visit this particular web page, type in a comment
in the text box, click the submit button, and then have the text sent
via email to a particular web address. Is this possible just using
html?

You can do a mailto: and set the title text on static pages and/or maybe
some intro text but that's about it. Maybe enough for your purposes, you
just have to set the adressee & title for each page you want to look
distinctive, manually.