Using built-in localization for a commercial application.

craigkenisston

I'm starting to work in an application that will be freely distribuited
to the community. This means, people from any country will use it
From the begining I've thinking on the Globalization issue and the
application has been created taking in consideration that will be
translated, separating all strings in an XML file to read from.
I just started this way and never stopped to take a look at the
built-in globalization features on asp.net 2.0. Now, I am.
I'm wondering whether I can use the globalizations features on asp.net
2.0 or continue as I was doing. I'm thinking of products like
vBulleting and WordPress that provides you with a single XML file that
you can take, open, translate your self and upload to your site and
have your website languages changed. Or simply if some strings don't
like you, you can changed them and have them automatically translated.
I want this kind of simple functionality for my software and I don't
know if use the Globalization on asp.net 2.0 with their .resx files
will make me able to provide this.
I appreciate any comment.

craigkenisston

I really, really appreciate ANY comment :)

[...]

I found the following extract here :
http://openmymind.net/index.aspx?documentId=3

Why not use what's available as-is?
While it's certainly possible to develop a multilingual application
with the tools provided with ASP.Net, there are a number of limitation
which make the task less than streamlined. Some of the key problems
are:

* Resource files are embedded into [satellite] assemblies
* Resource files can't return strongly-typed objects
* Web controls aren't easily hooked with resource files

While the list might seem small, the above three issues can be quite
serious - with the first being the worst. For example, since resource
files are embedded into assemblies, its very difficult to ship a
product which provides the client with the flexibility to change the
content - a feature offered by many products. At my previous job, every
time the translation department wanted to change some text, we'd need
to recompile the entire application, stop 20 web servers and copy the
..dll into the bin folder - a frustrating process.

I think this last pretty much answer my question, seems one cannot add
languages on the fly, a recompilation is needed !!
Really !?