Using Gnutar to remove a list of files

cmacn024

Hi folks, I've got a question for yas. I'm trying to write code that
will open up a gzipped tar file using gnutar, and copy the list of
files(including their directories) to a list variable in python. From
there, I want to go through the list and delete those files from my
system. That part is easy, but what I'm stuck on is getting the list
of files in an archive into a list variable. If I use the -t parameter
in gnutar, it prints a list of the files in a seperate cmd screen, but
only returns 0. Is there any way to make it return a list, or to copy
the information over? Thanks in advance!

Gerrit Holl

Hi folks, I've got a question for yas. I'm trying to write code that
will open up a gzipped tar file using gnutar, and copy the list of
files(including their directories) to a list variable in python. From
there, I want to go through the list and delete those files from my
system. That part is easy, but what I'm stuck on is getting the list
of files in an archive into a list variable. If I use the -t parameter
in gnutar, it prints a list of the files in a seperate cmd screen, but
only returns 0. Is there any way to make it return a list, or to copy
the information over? Thanks in advance!

Use the commands module.
Or tarfile of course.

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-commands.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-tarfile.html

Gerrit.

Rob Williscroft

wrote in in
comp.lang.python:
Hi folks, I've got a question for yas. I'm trying to write code that
will open up a gzipped tar file using gnutar, and copy the list of
files(including their directories) to a list variable in python. From
there, I want to go through the list and delete those files from my
system. That part is easy, but what I'm stuck on is getting the list
of files in an archive into a list variable. If I use the -t parameter
in gnutar, it prints a list of the files in a seperate cmd screen, but
only returns 0. Is there any way to make it return a list, or to copy
the information over? Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this will help:

http://docs.python.org/lib/tar-examples.html

Rob.