using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war, jar and ear files

Discussion in 'Java' started by thebad1, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. thebad1

    thebad1 Guest

    Hi,

    We are currently going through the process of asking our java
    developers and external vendors to stick to a versioning convention
    for the various war, jar and ear files that are deployed.

    The idea has been suggested that we should have the vendor/developer
    ship a "release" file with version information in the root of the
    archive file. However I am thinking that there is a standard
    versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
    "Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
    seem to find a specification or reference for it. I guess that I might
    just be searching for a topic for which there is a lot of competition
    for keywords... :-(

    If Anyone has any ideas on where I can find information on this, I
    would be grateful.

    Thanks,

    T.
    thebad1, Feb 2, 2007

  2. thebad1

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:38:30 -0000, thebad1 <>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently going through the process of asking our java
    > developers and external vendors to stick to a versioning convention
    > for the various war, jar and ear files that are deployed.
    >
    > The idea has been suggested that we should have the vendor/developer
    > ship a "release" file with version information in the root of the
    > archive file. However I am thinking that there is a standard
    > versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
    > "Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
    > seem to find a specification or reference for it. I guess that I might
    > just be searching for a topic for which there is a lot of competition
    > for keywords... :-(

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Manifest
    Specification>

    Dan

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org
    Daniel Dyer, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Re: using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war,jar and ear files

    thebad1 wrote:
    > However I am thinking that there is a standard
    > versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
    > "Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
    > seem to find a specification or reference for it.

    It is in the "JAR File Specification" (paragraph "Main Attributes")
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Main Attributes

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Feb 2, 2007
  4. thebad1

    thebad1 Guest

    > It is in the "JAR File Specification" (paragraph "Main Attributes")http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Main Attributes

    Thanks for both of those rapid answers... However I am still slightly
    confused by the document. Am I right in saying that "Implementation-
    Version" corresponds to 1.0, for web application packaged in a war
    file for release 1.0 of a web application? And the same for say, an
    EAR archive?
    thebad1, Feb 2, 2007