Using Integrated Security for Accessing SQL on Remote Server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by eRic, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. eRic

    eRic Guest

    Hello,

    I am currently trying to use integrated security to access the SQL database for the ASP.NET application (deployed on an intranet)

    I am following this article
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...kaccessingsqlserverwithexplicitcredentials.as

    So far I hav
    1. Set the Web.config file to impersonate a specific domain use
    <identity impersonate="true" userName = "myDomain\myUserName" password="password"/
    2. Created the login in the SQL server and given it appropriate permission
    3. Used Integrated Security = SSPI in the connection strin
    4. IIS does not allow anonymous access on the site and is using Windows Integrated Securit

    So far it's a no go

    I've also gone as far as to set the same user (that maps to the SQL login) as the user for the processModel and still nothing
    (do you need to reboot the box before changes in machine.config take place?

    I read a previous thread that said you need to enable Kerberos delegation for any identity to be passed acrossed machines. Is that the case? If so I really don't understand how the article that I mentioned above could work

    Thank
    - e
    eRic, Feb 29, 2004

  2. eRic

    Kunal Guest

    What is the error you are getting ? "Login Failed for NT Authority/System" ?

    http://www.qnal.net/inkabletype

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...accessingsqlserverwithexplicitcredentials.asp

    > So far I have
    > 1. Set the Web.config file to impersonate a specific domain user
    > <identity impersonate="true" userName = "myDomain\myUserName"

    password="password"/>
    > 2. Created the login in the SQL server and given it appropriate

    permissions
    > 3. Used Integrated Security = SSPI in the connection string
    > 4. IIS does not allow anonymous access on the site and is using Windows

    Integrated Security

    Kunal, Feb 29, 2004

  3. eRic

    eRic Guest

    No message that I can see, the app just can't access the SQL Sever.
    eRic, Mar 1, 2004
  4. eRic

    Kunal Guest

    When you step through the code..the application is probably throwing a
    SQLException with some message indicating the login failure....see if you
    can post that here..

    Kunal, Mar 1, 2004
  5. eRic

    eRic Guest

    Ok here's one thing i've see

    Cannot initialize SSPI package.
    eRic, Mar 2, 2004
  6. eRic

    eRic Guest

    Thanks for the article, the issue I am having, however, involves the SQL Server on a remote computer(not the same box as the web server)

    Thanks
    eRic
    eRic, Mar 2, 2004
  7. eRic