Using MsAccess with Perl on a UNIX system

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by linux@colsen.org, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to build a script that creates and fills an MsAccess
    database (.mdb) in the right format on a UNIX-system (solaris).

    The script needs to retrieve information from an existing MySQL
    database and put it in an MsAccess database on the UNIX-platform, so
    no connection can be made to a Windows machine. Later the will be FTP-
    ed to a windows machine, which can only load the data. ODBC is not
    possible.

    The script is a perl script, but the solution to this prolbem, doesn't
    necessarily need to be with Perl.

    Does anyone have experience in how to solve this problem?

    Best regards,
    Gilian

    , Jul 12, 2007

  2. Lambik Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to build a script that creates and fills an MsAccess
    > database (.mdb) in the right format on a UNIX-system (solaris).
    >
    > The script needs to retrieve information from an existing MySQL
    > database and put it in an MsAccess database on the UNIX-platform, so
    > no connection can be made to a Windows machine. Later the will be FTP-
    > ed to a windows machine, which can only load the data. ODBC is not
    > possible.
    >
    > The script is a perl script, but the solution to this prolbem, doesn't
    > necessarily need to be with Perl.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience in how to solve this problem?

    You are not the first one. There is the ODBC Socket Server
    (http://odbcsock.sourceforge.net/) where you still need a MS OS or there is
    the UniverSQL (http://www.sidespace.com/products/universql/) where you need
    to pay for but has a trail version. Then there is the ODBC ODBC bridge from
    http://www.easysoft.com/.

    All are plasters, not real solutions. Real solution: export the db using a
    mysql odbc from a windows machine into a mysql db.

    Lambik, Jul 12, 2007