    depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
    stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
    usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    TheKeith, Oct 27, 2003

  2. TheKeith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
    have stated:

    > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
    > websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
    > depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
    > stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
    > usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
    recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
    irrelevant in the modern web.

    BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 27, 2003

  3. TheKeith wrote:
    > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
    > completely websafe, particularly when users are running machines set
    > to a 16-bit color depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group
    > as far as standards and stuff, I was wondering what you thought about
    > using other colors besides the usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient graphics
    processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
    your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
    enough.

    It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
    (almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
    colour. Contrast is more important.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Oct 27, 2003
  4. TheKeith

    TheKeith Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
    > have stated:
    >
    > > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
    > > websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit

    color
    > > depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards

    and
    > > stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides

    the
    > > usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    > Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
    > recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
    > irrelevant in the modern web.
    >
    > BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

    thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
    to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

    TheKeith, Oct 27, 2003
  5. TheKeith

    TheKeith Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > TheKeith wrote:
    > > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
    > > completely websafe, particularly when users are running machines set
    > > to a 16-bit color depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group
    > > as far as standards and stuff, I was wondering what you thought about
    > > using other colors besides the usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    > don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient

    graphics
    > processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
    > your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
    > enough.
    >
    > It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
    > (almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
    > colour. Contrast is more important.

    ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
    whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform? I
    want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any unanticipated
    problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the small number of people
    using ancient machines, I guess I'll just use whichever colors I want.
    Thanks again.

    TheKeith, Oct 27, 2003
  6. TheKeith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:50:10 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
    have stated:

    > thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
    > to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

    Sorry - I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that you
    quoted the colour values in your code, rather than the word "websafe" when
    writing about it. Understand now. :)

    My other comments still stand, of course.

    Mark Parnell, Oct 28, 2003
  7. TheKeith

    rf Guest

    "TheKeith" <> wrote in message

    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > > TheKeith wrote:
    > > > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
    > > > completely websafe,

    > > don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient

    > graphics
    > > processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours.

    when
    > > your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
    > > enough.

    > ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
    > whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform?

    It's going to be different anyway. No two screens (even of the same model)
    display colours exactly the same.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 28, 2003
  8. TheKeith wrote:
    > ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned
    > as to whether my stuff will look radically different on a different
    > platform?

    it will - as Richard said.

    > I want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any
    > unanticipated problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the
    > small number of people using ancient machines,

    It's not the number of people - we have no way of knowing that. It's just
    the simple fact that these older systems will be displaying a messed up web
    of odd colours to their users already - they'll be used to it.

    > I guess I'll just use
    > whichever colors I want.

    That's the way ;o)

    don't forget contrast.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Oct 28, 2003
  9. TheKeith

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    "TheKeith" <> wrote in message news:...
    | I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
    | websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
    | depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
    | stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
    | usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

    i've never been overly concerned with using web safe colours myself
    Hung Diep
    New Media Designer
    www.intro-spect.co.uk
    0795 6576 319