Using non-"websafe" colors

TheKeith

I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
have stated:
I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
irrelevant in the modern web.

BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

William Tasso

TheKeith said:
I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
completely websafe, particularly when users are running machines set
to a 16-bit color depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group
as far as standards and stuff, I was wondering what you thought about
using other colors besides the usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient graphics
processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
enough.

It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
(almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
colour. Contrast is more important.

TheKeith

Mark Parnell said:
Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
have stated:

Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
irrelevant in the modern web.

BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

TheKeith

William Tasso said:
don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient graphics
processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
enough.

It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
(almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
colour. Contrast is more important.

ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform? I
want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any unanticipated
problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the small number of people
using ancient machines, I guess I'll just use whichever colors I want.
Thanks again.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:50:10 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
have stated:
thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

Sorry - I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that you
quoted the colour values in your code, rather than the word "websafe" when
writing about it. Understand now. :)

My other comments still stand, of course.

rf

ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform?

It's going to be different anyway. No two screens (even of the same model)
display colours exactly the same.

Cheers
Richard.

William Tasso

TheKeith said:
ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned
as to whether my stuff will look radically different on a different
platform?

it will - as Richard said.
I want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any
unanticipated problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the
small number of people using ancient machines,

It's not the number of people - we have no way of knowing that. It's just
the simple fact that these older systems will be displaying a messed up web
of odd colours to their users already - they'll be used to it.
I guess I'll just use
whichever colors I want.

That's the way ;o)

don't forget contrast.

Barefoot Kid

| I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
| websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
| depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
| stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
| usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

i've never been overly concerned with using web safe colours myself